No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with trinity differential expression

Dear seqanswers users,

I am working with RNAseq data from a Illumina HiSeq and I like to perform a comparative analysis using trinity embedded perl scripts with edgeR. The RNA was prepped as TrueSeq library (newest version whatever that is right now).

To do that I need a estimation of the abundance of HiSeq reads in comparison to the reference transcriptome (which I created ab-initio using trinity version 2014/07/17). For this approach I use bowtie2 (version 2.2.3
    64-bit) for the inital mapping step and samtools (version 0.2.0-rc12-1-gbbe85a9, 64bit self-compiled).

During a follow-up step the script from trinity/util "rsem-run-em" is used which throws the following error:

rsem-run-em: QualDist.h:39: int QualDist::c2q(char): Assertion `c >= 33 && c <= 126' failed.

of course that error infers that some sequences in my 22Gb reads have quality scores which are out of the range of ASCII dec 33 (equalling !) to 126 (equalling ~). By simple grep analysis for non-ASCII characters between 33 to 126 I could not get any lines out of the fastq read files which would contain such "illegal" characters. Form that I infer the problem lies within the bam files I got from bowtie2.

So, I used samtools with the following command to get rid of all lines which would not have acceptable quality-scores for the phred33 quality column in the bam file by using the following command:

samtools view -bq 2 bowtie2.bam > bowtie2.filtered.bam

But still the same error persists.

So to my question: Does anybody have a clue how one could identify the single "wrong" entry in a 2,3Gb bam file to get rid of low quality sequence entries with illegal characters?

Any help is highly appreciated.

Chris

PS: For further information I run a i5 intel machine (64bit) and use ubuntu 14.04 LTS.

Perhaps there's a space or extraneous line ending somewhere. If you're familiar with running things in a debugger, you might be able to diagnose the cause that way. If not, you can always subset the file to determine exactly where the problem line/character is (this can become very time consuming).

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
    0 responses