No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best approach for targeted PCR resequencing on MiSeq from RNA

Hi everyone,

I need to amplify selected regions from my RNA samples and resequence with MiSeq.

I am unclear to what is the best approach:

1. Use the Illumina metagenomic 16s sequencing library kit, design PCR primers with the Illumina adapter sequences attached as part of the primers. Pool the amplicons. Then I use the Nextera index kit to index the samples.

or

2. Perform my own PCR independent of Illumina kits, purify the PCR fragments and then add adapter and index sequences.

Advice on multiplexing PCR software is also highly appreciated!

Regards,

Dessi

There is no need to buy the Illumina indexing kit. These are just simple PCR primer oligos and you can have them synthesized elsewhere according to your needs. The sequences are in the 16S protocol and the indices in the Illumina adapter letter.

Comment

Thanks Luc,

I have 8 samples and 5 or 10 amplicons in each sample. It would be easier for me to pull the PCR products of each sample together and then index them. However, I am confused to each kit to use.

A second concern I have is about the low complexity library sequencing. I have been reading on forums that sequencing libraries from a few amplicons only might be an issue.

Cheers,
      Dessi

Comment

In this experiment there would maximum of 8x10=80 amplicons. There are two options for library prep:

1- Set up PCR reactions with standard primers, clean up and pool amplicons from each sample and follow ligation based library prep.

2- Follow Illumina’s 16S two step PCR protocol. In this case every target from each sample can be amplified separately with overhang primers followed by clean up and pooling each sample amplicons and then adding index with 2nd PCR using Nextera primers.

As there are around 10 different amplicons, low diversity should not be an issue. Just keep in mind that amplicons sizes should be suitable for intended length of reads.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses