Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• coligation of PCR amplicon

Does anyone have a protocol for coligation of PCR amplicon for sequencing on the Ilumina platform. As I understand the way to proceed with library prep for PCR amplicons is coligation, fragmetation, gel fraction and then adaptor ligation is this the best way to do it or is there any easier way? We have pools of PCR product between 300-450bp that we want to sequence.

Hi,

did you get an answer to this last year? I'd be interested in such a protocol as well. We actually did the experiment through GATC in Germany some time ago (they did all the steps in-house). It worked fine, but you need to apply appropriate bioinformatics in order to "restrict" the co-ligated fragments on the computer. This can be complicated if different primer sets are involved.

Comment

I routinely do this for sequencing viral genomes out of complex mixtures. I PCR ~6-10 amplicons spanning the genome (12kb) with ~300-500 bp overlap between the amplicons. I then mix the amplicons in equimolar ratios (shooting for 5-10ug DNA total) and do a column PCR clean-up. I generally elute this into 25ul and then EtOH precipitate to get a pellet. I resuspend the pellet in 3.5 ul H2O, and then add 0.5ul 10X T4 ligase buffer, 0.5ul T4 polynucleotide kinase, and 0.5ul T4 DNA ligase, and let the mix incubate at RT for 4 hours to overnight. This will generate high molecular weight DNA, which I then fragment and use for library prep.

Some notes:

1) I use Phusion polymerase, which generates blunt ends. If you use Taq, you'll have to polish the ends to get rid of the A overhang.

2) I have found that the smaller the ligation volume the better. If I tried to ligate in higher volumes (25ul or more), fewer of the amplicons get converted to HMW DNA. I don't know if you could get a similar effect in a larger volume by adding PEG.

3) If you use primers that are phosphorylated, you can omit the PNK in the ligation reaction.

4) The DNA pellet does not resuspend very well in 1x T4 ligase buffer, which is why I resuspend in water and then add buffer.

5) I have also run a modification of this protocol by adding a unique restriction site to my PCR primers (AscI in my case,) digesting the PCR product with the enzyme to generate sticky ends, and then ligating. This seemed to work a little better then PNK, but adds an extra digestion step. You also have to do a column cleanup of the digest to get rid of the small pieces of DNA that get trimmed off of the ends of the amplicons. If you leave them in during ligation, they can block ligation into HMW DNA.

Hope this helps,
      Brett

Comment

thanks Brett, that helps extraordinarily well
        will make my student very happy
        best regards,
        Berthold

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses