SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pippin Prep for size selection = win captainentropy Sample Prep / Library Generation 46 01-21-2016 10:00 AM
Pippin Prep vs. gel elution for RNA-Seq shurjo Sample Prep / Library Generation 2 07-04-2013 03:30 PM
cDNA prep for Illumina using the Nextera kit fgoetz Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 07-09-2012 06:34 PM
Pippin Prep for RNA? SageSigh Sample Prep / Library Generation 8 07-23-2011 07:41 AM
QC of cDNA library prep for GA cybog337 Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 06-08-2011 10:10 AM

Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
DrDTonge

Question Pippin Prep - cDNA musings...

Dear all,

We've purchased a Pippin Prep and are awaiting training to use the 3% for size selecting our small RNA libraries. Briefly, these comprise of 18 - 38nt inserts with adapters making a total of 60 -80nt following reverse transcription.

We're informed that we can use the Pippin to size select straight from the cDNA reaction although I have a query about this...

Our usual method is to run the cDNA down a denaturing gel (TBE-UREA) and excise the cDNA fragments in line with a denatured DNA ladder. Therefore both reference and sample are denatured.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, I can't work out how the native gels in the Pippin Prep can achieve this against a native DNA ladder...the first strand cDNA would be ss, whilst the reference ladder would be ds.

What am I missing???

D :-)
DrDTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #2
mehdik

Default ssDNA selection on Pippin

The way you can use the Pippin for selecting ssDNA molecules is to empirically determine at what size they come out compared to the dsDNA ladder. It works well if your process calls for the same size selection range over and over. If it varies, then there might be a lot of optimization.
mehdik is offline   Reply With Quote