Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pippin-Prep - External or Internal markers?

Hi Seqanswers community,

I going to test size selection step in Pippin-Prep and I´m not sure about the advantages and disadvantages to use the external or internal markers.

I going to use a 2% dye-free Pippin-Prep cassete gel to select two different ranges, 200-250 and 400-450 bp. The marker options for my experiment are Marker L (internal standards) or Marker K (external standards).

I have already performed a test using the external Marker K to select the above mentioned ranges and using the 'Range Program Mode'. However, the product size recovered was smaller than selected (around 150 bp for the 200-250 range and around 350 for the range 400-450). I guess if I use a internal instead external marker I can improve accuracy, but I afraid that I can collect a marker fragment togheter with the recovered product.

Thank you.

Originally posted by emarsola10 View Post
    Hi Seqanswers community,

I going to test size selection step in Pippin-Prep and I´m not sure about the advantages and disadvantages to use the external or internal markers.

I going to use a 2% dye-free Pippin-Prep cassete gel to select two different ranges, 200-250 and 400-450 bp. The marker options for my experiment are Marker L (internal standards) or Marker K (external standards).

I have already performed a test using the external Marker K to select the above mentioned ranges and using the 'Range Program Mode'. However, the product size recovered was smaller than selected (around 150 bp for the 200-250 range and around 350 for the range 400-450). I guess if I use a internal instead external marker I can improve accuracy, but I afraid that I can collect a marker fragment togheter with the recovered product.

Thank you.
    I have used the Blue Pippin to isolate fragments in the 175-250bp range using Dye-Free cassette BDF2010 (2%) with internal standard V1 and it has worked very reliably. The internal standards are very small so they do not co-migrate with your 200bp fragments.

You said you tested using Marker K as an external standard. Looking at the Pippin Cassette Reference Chart it lists Marker K as an internal standard meant for the 1.5% cassette. The external standard designated for 2% cassettes is Marker E. That may explain the discrepancy in the fragment sizes recovered.

Comment

The internal standards have shorter fragment lengths; they will not be eluted with your sample. With internal standards you can run 5 samples per cassette. We have not noticed any principal differences in accuracy.

Comment

Pippin-Prep - External or Internal markers?

Thank you for reply.
        I used the external marker E (CEF 2010) and not K, as I said before.

I think that people from SAGE assistance has found the problem. Checking the log files of our run they found a hump in the curves of the current profile for all lanes, whereas the expected curve must be flat. They gave the following tip: "This ‘hump’ typically indicates that the input sample contains excess salt (>80mM ionic strength). High salt causes an altered migration, and can cause inaccurate sizing. I would suggest performing a purification step to remove excess salt before loading future samples on the Pippin Prep.". This makes sense because we entered with a concentrate PCR product in the gel.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
          Yesterday, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
        0 responses