Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ECO View Post
    I'm definitely out of my league in this discussion, but if anyone needs hosting for some of these sample datasets, let me know!
    Can we make a wiki to store all the datasets and results? A nice table would be soo cool! Also, I think people contributing data and analysis to a wiki page is more 'cite-able' than forum posts, although this is clearly an effective mechanism for community discussion. A wiki page to summarize this thread could be a good 'citation'. I tried to find a suitable spot on Wikipedia, but they don't even have an article for next-generation sequencing yet, never mind short read aligners to cope with the data.

I'd like to start benchmarking the de-novo aligners (where accuracy is much harder to pin down). This will become more and more of an issue as all the genome sequencing projects move over to next-gen technology.

BTW, anyone seen this:

I’ll be attending the coveted Marco Island meeting early next month (February 4-8), where I’ll present a poster on my evaluations of short read aligners for next-gen sequencing data

Looks relevant to the topic of this thread.
    Last edited by dan; 01-22-2009, 06:09 AM. Reason: added a note about looking for a suitable page on Wikipedia
    Homepage: Dan Bolser
    MetaBase the database of biological databases.

Comment

Originally posted by regyre View Post
      Hi lh3,

Thanks for the original benchmarking! I'm actually looking for such a benchmarking including the latest tools, like ZOOM!, bowtie, R Biostings pairwiseAlignment(), etc. Has anybody heard of that?

Cheers,

N.
      I second this. I'd be interested in a comparison of erroneous mappings with the dominant WGS alignment-to-ref tools.

Comment

Hi there, i am under some pressure to deliver results from a solexa run. They did a run, and all i had to do was give them a list of variants.

Problem is, i ran bowtie, give them the list. They verify with Sanger sequencing, and the results are different. So i used MAQ then. Results different than BowTie results (but also different than the 'reality' obtained with Sanger).

So I have a lot of questionmarks... If results vary depending on the mapping software, well, my neighboor's genome has not changed since i pressed the MAQ button, so that is a problem.

You guys still think using Eland will give me some 'strength' in explaining i did the best possible mapping i could do?

Problem is that they have multiple genotypes mixed and are looking for QTL's, so a 40% or 60% variant, in the 'normal world' is just a heterozygous variant, in QTL world, it is a big difference...

Comment

This is great thank you.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses