X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SOAP denovo permission denied

Hi!
    I'm new to bioinformatics and linux.
    I've downloaded the latest pre-compiled binary version of SOAPdenovo2 and placed it in a directory in my Desktop. I unpacked it using tar -zxf.
    I also created a config file and have all my fastq, fasta and bam files ready on another directory in my Desktop.

My issue is that when I change directory to /bin and type the command:
    /path/SOAPdenovo-63mer all -s /path/config_file -K 63 -R -o graph_prefix 1>ass.log 2>ass.err
    I get
    Bash: ass.log permission denied

I already tried chmod 777 to SOAPdenovo-63mer and to ass.log so that they have all the permissions and even added from /etc with sudo nano /etc/sudoers the user to execute with admin permission evethough there's only one user and is the admin.

What should I do?
    Thanks!!
    Last edited by mines; 11-22-2016, 06:57 PM.

You don't want to write data files to the SOAPdenovo/bin directory. You can add a path to /some_path/ass.log and /some_path/ass.err files so they are saved somewhere else other than the SOAP dir hierarchy.

Comment

Hi GenoMax, thanks a lot for your answer.

I don't have any SOAPdenovo directory in /bin, i just go there to execute it, should I do something about that?

The ass.log and ass.err files are automatically created in the SOAPdenovo directory in my desktop where I have the SOAPdenovo-63mer file.
      The ass.err file says SOAPdenovo-63mer command not found.

Thanks again!

Comment

Sorry, I meant bam files instead of bin when I wrote fastq, fasta and bin files ready.

Comment

You don't need to go to /bin directory to execute other programs (e.g. SOAP). You may want to spend a bit of time understanding basics of UNIX to clarify this. Follow this guide.

Comment

I definitely will. Thanks for the guide GenoMax!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
              by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
              Yesterday, 07:01 AM
            • seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses