SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Genome alignments astat Bioinformatics 2 01-10-2012 06:21 AM
How many multiple alignments to allow? hlwright Bioinformatics 0 04-14-2011 12:40 AM
What test is cuffcompare performing? foxyg Bioinformatics 0 04-05-2011 11:27 AM
R mismatch position in pairwise alignment NicoBxl Bioinformatics 4 10-27-2010 09:36 AM
Performing Hybrid Assemblies With Newbler WaltL 454 Pyrosequencing 3 01-14-2010 06:44 AM

Old 02-25-2010, 08:16 PM   #1
fbarreto

Default Performing many pairwise alignments

Hi all,

I've stumbled into an issue in my analysis for which I haven't been able to think of a single solution.
I have ~4,000 distinct pairs of orthologous sequences, and I would like to have global alignments for each pair. I am not interested in a multiple sequence alignment, but simply distinct pairwise alignments. In papers with similar-sized data sets, authors have briefly mentioned that they used standard alignment programs, like ClustalW, MUSCLE, or T-Coffee. However, short of inputing each pair of sequences at a time into these programs (i.e. thousands of inputs!), I haven't been able to understand how that can be done in those programs. As far as I can tell, the set of sequences one supplies as input will undergo a multiple sequence alignment.

Am I missing something in how to use those programs for this problem? Or is this an issue that must be dealt with Perl programming?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
fbarreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:39 AM   #2
simonandrews
Simon Andrews

This sounds like a situation where you really need a script. You don't say how your data is currently structured, but you'll probably only need a very simple script to automate the submission of 4000 jobs to any alignment program.

Of course your next problem will be what to do with 4000 pairwise alignments, so you'll probably need a script for that too eventually...
simonandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #3
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

Try needleall from EMBOSS 6.2.0 or later for many-to-many Needleman-Wunsch global alignment:
http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/...ry/003824.html
http://emboss.sourceforge.net/apps/r...needleall.html
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 01:53 PM   #4
fbarreto

Thanks! That helps a lot! I tried EMBOSS's needleall, and it does wonderfully in aligning pairs, but I still need to do some scripting to parse that output. Eventually, I want to have each alignment in Phylip format for PAML.

Cheers!
fbarreto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 05:36 AM   #5
maubp
Peter (Biopython etc)

The EMBOSS tools support a range of output files, but you may still need some scripting...
maubp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sequence alignments