No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• exon expression level

Hi there.

I would like to to get for a list of exons their expression level from my RNA-seq data.
    I thought about using cufflinks but the problem is that cufflinks generate FPKM at the isoform level. I usually feed cufflinks with a refseq gtf file downloaded from UCSC table browser (under genes and genes prediction), and cufflinks use that to build locus.
    I thought to switch back from locus to exons (using the ref ID NM/R_somenumber) but it's a wrong way to go by since:

1) many exons participate in more than one transcript, and each has a different FPKM value
    2) FPKM number are probably calculated considering fragment length and each transcripts has its own, so I cannot just sum up the FPKM from all transcripts for a particular exon

If I was in a world in which every gene had only one transcripts I guess my life would be easier and I would be blonde and handsome , but reality is crueler than that.

All tables I can download on ucsc include variants so I got my hands on illumina truseq exome file containing all exons per gene in a definitively matter, meaning each exon appear once , even if some belongs to different variants. But it seems this file is no good for cufflinks and it was not able to build locus right.

I thought of just using samtools for each exon:
    samtools view accpeted_hits.bam chr1:exonstrat-exonend | wc -l
    and just get and number and calculate my own FPKM using the exon's length (and total number of reads)

Do you think using samtools is fine ?

Just use DEXseq and its python script for counting exonic bins. This is a solved problem. Yes, you'll get raw counts, but you can do whatever you want with those then.

Comment

Do I need to install the whole package or can I just use this one script ?

Comment

As I recall, the python scripts are just wrappers around htseq-count, so you can likely use them without the rest of the R package. Having said that, if you're interested in using the data to look at differential exon usage then DEXseq would be the tool to use anyway.

Comment

As for now I only need the expression, will samtools be enough ?
          I would like to save the time of learning how to use this package as I'm not that familiar yet with R

Comment

As long as you don't have paired-end reads, then yes, that'll work. You could also just
            Code:
            samtools view -c alignments.bam chr1:start-end
            since the -c option will do the counting for you.

Comment

ok thank you for this help.

I do have paired-end reads, but I guess I could write some script to handle that, using the reads ID.

Nevertheless, I do preform differential exons analysis quite often, as I study alternative splicing, so it's about time I learn to use DEXseq anyhow.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses