No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SPAdes: selecting K-mer based on read length

Hello Members,
    I need your guidance in selecting k-mer for assembling bacterial genome, paired end using SPAdes.

I know and have read section

SPAdes is smart enough to select its own K-mer, and assemble thereafter.

My question is:
    I'm automating assembly and downstream analysis for isolates over 1000. I'd like to understand how to select an optimal K-mer based on read length.
    If I were to set K-mer based on read length, what should be those? And why?

Currently, I'm having Illumina 150X2 data.
    K-mer(s) may differ based on coverage too. But lets say I've data of coverage less than 30X.

I came across below URL too.

Also, there are tools like k-mer genie and velvet_optimizer. (I've not tried them yet)

There's no recipe for these (k-mer, coverage) kind of situations, but there has to be an optimal way which might help to have reasonable output and results?
    Last edited by bio_informatics; 04-14-2015, 05:08 AM.
    Bioinformaticscally calm

The optimal kmer-length should be less than read length Other than that there are not really any strict rules, just the longer the read, and the more coverage, generally the longer the kmer you can use. SPAdes, as far as I know, does not select a kmer length, but rather makes a combined assembly (by default) using multiple pre-selected kmer lengths of 55, 33, and 21. I think these values are low and a higher value, particularly for the max, would be better, at least for 150bp reads and good coverage.

We have not had a good experience with tools that automatically try to determine the best kmer length based on kmer frequency histograms, and I don't think there is any theoretical validity to that approach. Running multiple assemblies with different kmer lengths, and selecting the one with the best metrics, seems like the best approach - at least, if you are using a fast assembler, like Velvet. SPAdes is too slow for that approach.

Comment

You can restart SPAdes with the addition of new k-mers if you think the assembly is not good enough. It combines the results from multiple k-mers, to me that seems like the best approach.

Comment

I've been doing a lot of bacterial assemblies with SPades 3.5, and in all cases I've seen using kmer 99 or 127 works best in terms of contig # and N50. This has been with 2x 150 fragment PE plus a mate pair library. I had one trial set of K12 data that had fewer misassemblies using K77 than with K99 or 127.
        Scott Monsma
        Sr Scientist at Lucigen

Comment

Hi Milw,
          Thank you for sharing your experience.
          I do not have mate paired data. I hope that should not make a huge difference for k-mer outputs and resulting assembly?

I'll definitely try with 99 kmer and 127 as you've.

Originally posted by milw View Post
          I've been doing a lot of bacterial assemblies with SPades 3.5, and in all cases I've seen using kmer 99 or 127 works best in terms of contig # and N50. This has been with 2x 150 fragment PE plus a mate pair library. I had one trial set of K12 data that had fewer misassemblies using K77 than with K99 or 127.
          Last edited by bio_informatics; 04-14-2015, 10:02 AM.
          Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Hi Chipper,
            Oh, yes; I was oblivious to this feature. Thank you for reminding.

Originally posted by Chipper View Post
            You can restart SPAdes with the addition of new k-mers if you think the assembly is not good enough. It combines the results from multiple k-mers, to me that seems like the best approach.
            Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Hi Brian,
              Thanks for your valuable points. Definitely, k-mer won't be the read length, (un)fortunately :P
              That's correct, SPAdes makes a combined assembly based on k-mer used.
              But then again, the k-mer used are governed by the read length. Hence, was my question.

I wanted to understand - should I let SPAdes predict its usage of k-mer which it identifies by read length. OR, should I check read length and based on it, I can run as (example from its documentation):

spades.py -k 21,33,55,77 -
              As suggested by milw, and chipper; I should be attempting mentioned practices.
              Thanks.
              Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Originally posted by bio_informatics View Post
                Hi Milw,
                Thank you for sharing your experience.
                I do not have mate paired data. I hope that should not make a huge difference for k-mer outputs and resulting assembly?
                It depends of course on what you're trying to assemble. I've had good luck with microbial BAC clones assembling completely just with fragment (paired-end) data- those are only ~100-150kb. Microbial genomes will probably give you a bunch of contigs.

Here's an example of fragment data only for 2.3Mb microbial genome, showing bigger contigs with increasing Kmer:

(final 'scaffolds' overlays final 'contigs' because there's no scaffolding without mate pair)

cheers- Scott
                Last edited by milw; 04-15-2015, 05:16 AM.
                Scott Monsma
                Sr Scientist at Lucigen

Comment

Thanks much Scott. :-)
                  Bioinformaticscally calm

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses