This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey JKing,

Glad to have you! I swear I just read a paper using your software...ah yes...The complete genome sequence of Escherichia coli DH10B: insights into the biology of a laboratory workhorse....looks very interesting.

Got a couple of questions, as we're looking into this now...

Have you done any work with SOLiD data?

Any comments on how it runs assemblies on standalone desktop-y caliber machines?

Comment

Nice to meet you, Eco

Thanks for the warm welcome, Eco. This site is poised to be a valuable base of knowledge for all of us who are highly interested in this technology.

The best way for visitors of this site to get in depth information on SeqMan Genome Assembler (SGA), or to perform assemblies with their data, is to email [email protected]. Like I said, I'm not here to hawk a product, but to continue to develop my own knowledge. Plus, posting technical specifics on a public forum runs the risk that the information will linger here and be old in a month when a new SGA version is released. Since you asked, however:

Have you done any work with SOLiD data?
      SGA does accept and assemble csfasta files, and some of its specific trimming options for this data overcome some of the problems inherent in colorspace fasta files.

Any comments on how it runs assemblies on standalone desktop-y caliber machines?
      SGA runs on 64 bit operating systems to eliminate any limits on RAM. For short read assemblies, it requires a computer with augmented (but not massively so) RAM. SGA is simply a command line assembler which provides .ace or .sqd output. All of the SNP filtering and codon analysis, as well as expression analysis, occurs in SeqMan Pro of the Lasergene suite and in ArrayStar, respectively (or in other software that accepts .ace files). The end user therefore does not require anything special computer-wise to perform the post-assembly analyses.

Comment

Excellent answers, and thanks for the feedback on the site. I'll be emailing soon.

Comment

one more

SeqMap (http://biogibbs.stanford.edu/~jiangh/SeqMap/) - work like ELand, can do 3 or more bp mismatches and also insdel

Comment

Originally posted by sci_guy View Post

SNP/Indel Discovery
            * ssahaSNP - ssahaSNP is a polymorphism detection tool. It detects homozygous SNPs and indels by aligning shotgun reads to the finished genome sequence. Highly repetitive elements are filtered out by ignoring those kmer words with high occurrence numbers. More tuned for ABI SOLiD reads. Developers are Adam Spargo and Zemin Ning from the Sanger Centre. Compaq Alpha, Linux-64, Linux-32, Solaris and Mac
            Correct me if I am wrong, but I think that ssahaSNP is more tuned for ABI *Sanger* reads and not ABI SOLiD reads. For shorter reads, you can use ssaha2 (it even has a preconfigured option for Solexa) but you still have the problem of detecting SNPs and indels...
            Last edited by green tree; 06-26-2008, 05:19 PM.

Comment

STADEN - Includes GAP4. GAP5 once completed will handle next-gen sequencing data.

anybody have scoops on possible software upgrade (GAP5?) for Staden package?

hoping
              rudy

Comment

Does any of you guys have tryed the Genomatix products for Next Gen Seq?

Comment

Fast Short Read Aligner

First official release of novoalign & novopaired are now available for download at www.novocraft.com. Alignment with qualities and gaps for single end and paired end reads. small RNA mode, adapter stripping, trimming etc.
                  Can set number of mismatches from 0 to 8 (8 is only suitable on small genomes).
                  Fast
                  1M CElegans reads in 96s at ++2mismatches*
                  1M HSapiens reads in 32m at ++2mismatches*
                  *maybe more than two mismatches as result of quality based scoring
                  *single threaded 2.4Ghz CPU, 8Gb RAM
                  Free for non-commercial/open projects.
                  Last edited by sparks; 07-09-2008, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Hey Sparks...looks good. Appreciate the link from your homepage!

I will definitely take a close look at this...do you plan on supporting SOLiD data directly?

Comment

Hi ECO,
                      I'm not sure about ABI Solid. From what I've seen there's a lot of sequencing errors and paired end only does 25bp at each end and gets a really low yield (in terms of good alignments). Do you think it's important?
                      Last edited by sparks; 07-08-2008, 08:15 PM. Reason: clarify low yield

Comment

Looking good. This site is very useful. Will anybody in this community be getting together at the ISMB Toronto 2008 meeting?

Comment

Originally posted by RudyS View Post
                          anybody have scoops on possible software upgrade (GAP5?) for Staden package?
                          I just noticed this forum - seems like a little gem :-)

Gap5 development is in progress, although it's slow as I keep getting distracted with SRF and ZTR trace formats. Currently there's not official public release of Gap5 itself, just of the text terminal viewer using some of the same code (see below).

So far the basic underlying storage and searching methods exist plus a basic contig editor. It's definitely fast and very efficient (both memory and cpu) compared to Gap4, but Gap4 has one key advantage - it's finished (as much as anything ever is)!

I should probably work on getting a publically useable release ready sometime, at least for testing purposes. The text-mode version which shares the same file format but is just a simple curses-based viewer can be downloaded from https://sourceforge.net/project/show...kage_id=256957 although it's a tad out of date.

James

Comment

Updated table. Please inform me if I have missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by sci_guy View Post
                              Updated table. Please inform me if I have missed something.
                              Hi, I think novocraft should be in align/assemble.

Comment

Good spotting. Updated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                                • seqadmin
                                  The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                                  by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                                  02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                                0 responses
                                0 likes
                                Last Post seqadmin  
                                Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                                0 responses