Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bowtie2 refusing to parallelize job

Hi guys, today I had a problem that I never heard of before.
    I am aligning some transcriptome samples agains different references (mammals).
    At first I tried to run these alignments in a Mac pro (2012), running Linux Mint 18.2 (kernel 4.10.0-33-generic), and bowtie2 (2.2.6) piping the output to samtools (1.5) for converting to bam on the fly.
    I did the references normally (bowtie2-build etc etc...) for all the ten mammals downloaded from NCBI (https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/genome/browse/) using the same Linux machine.
    I wrote the scripts in order to use all the cores available. At first, it was running correctly, using as many cores as I told to, but today it was using ony one... I did some tests and I realized that this only happens with a specific reference, not with others.
    Thinking that perhaps it was a problem with the machine, I shared the data through NFS to a Centos 7 machine (kernel 3.10.0-514.16.1.el7.x86_64) and bowtie2 (2.2.9) piping the output to samtools (1.3.1) for converting to bam on the fly. Same problem here...

Now I am rebuilding the referenses using this second machine.

Basically bowtie is refusing to parallelize.

Any clue?

Thank you!

Solved

Guys, problem solved when I rebuild the references. I do not know what caused this, but now is everything ok with both systems.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
    • seqadmin
      The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
      by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
      02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
    0 responses