Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-model polyploid plant Illumina RNA-seq: Paired/single ends? Fragment size range?

I would like to obtain short-read Illumina HiSeq 2000 transcriptomic data (RNA-Seq) for individuals representing closely-related diploid and polyploid plant species. Our aim is to identify and analyze comparatively the putative orthologues, paralogues and homeologes involved in parallel allopolyploidization events. We also want to develop new phylogenetic markers for the genus from the transcriptomic data.

I am new to transcriptomics (this is my first post ) and I want to make sure that we are doing the most appropriate sample prep for our study system and questions. Apoligies if my questions are naive!

For our species of interest, which are diploid/polyploid plants, with large-ish genomes, and NO reference genome currently available, I had thought 2x100 paired end reads would be the best approach based on forum posts and discussions with colleagues. However one sequencing facility ("facility A") that I wrote to asking for a quote advised me to do 1x100 single end reads instead, because they said that their fragmentation step in the cDNA library prep produces average fragment sizes of 125-150bp, so paired end reads would not provide any additional information and would not be worth the extra cost. However, another sequencing facility ("facility B") that sent me a quote said they would generate fragments ranging from 125-450 for paired end sequencing.

So, which is the best approach? My two main quesitons at this stage are, 1) should we do single end 1x100 or paired end 2x100 reads? and 2) what is the ideal fragment size (or fragment size range) we should be using? In theory wouldn't it provide more information (and make the downstream bioinformatics easier) to generate paired end reads from a larger range of fragment sizes (i.e. facility B's quote), rather than generate single end reads on a smaller range of fragment sizes (i.e. facility A's advice)? Or are there tradeoffs with respect to using larger fragment sizes or a larger RANGE of fragment sizes?

I look forward to any suggestions people may have. Thanks in advance.

Hi,

If you are looking into transcriptome assembly, I would suggest the paired end reads. Your service should be able to adjust the fragment sizes to your needs - other wise you can generate the libraries yourself. Two different insert sizes might be helpful, in this case.

For differential gene expression applications single end sequencing could indeed be sufficient.

Comment

Paired end is definitely the way to go for de novo assembly. Personally I would look for a sequencing facility that can give data with less spread of fragment size, 125-450 is not great. My most recent data has a range of about 350-500 bp. The fragment size range depends on the shearing method and clean up.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses