Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• covaris protocol for large input mass gDNA?

Hi everyone,

I've been working on shearing gDNA down to 180-200bp to use as a control in sequencing experiments. I've used the standard protocol to great success with 5-10ug input mass, but now I would like to be able to use more than 10ug of starting material - perhaps 50ug up to even 100ug per microtube (130uL) so I can make large quantities of the sheared gDNA at one time. Covaris FAQ states that if you plan on shearing more than 30ug, you may need to increase treatment time and increase temperature to 20C, where I suppose the external chiller unit would not really be needed. Since these darn microtubes are so expensive, and with limited gDNA I'm working with at the moment, I was hoping somebody has already done this and has some recommended treatment times for the aforementioned input mass (between 30-100ug)? I'll assume all other shearing parameters will not change from the standard <1.5kb shearing protocol for the given target size.

Cheers,

A.P.

Did you ever find a solution to this? I'm looking to fragment some larger quantities as well. It'd be really nice -cost wise- if we were able to do it in a single tube.

Best,
    Jackie

Comment

Hi Amplicous,

Too much DNA in a small volume of 130ul will render the viscosity too high and a controlling variable. You can shear >50ug of DNA in 2ml volume using the Covaris milliTUBEs.

Thank you
      Hamid

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses