No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FastQ processing

Hi all

We may be splashing out on an IonTorrent here in Leicester. How does everyone cope with the FASTQ files, and what flavour FASTQ format are they in? I'm considering starting a pipeline using Galaxy and LastZ, but are there any other remapping softwares that do well with longer reads (i.e. not the short 35bp reads that Bowtie etc are optimised for?)

Ed

bwa-sw/ssaha2/blat

I tried lastz before, but could not get it running properly, so I cannot comment how bwa-sw/ssaha2/blat is compared to lastz. 1kg use ssaha2.

Comment

Sanger FastQ is the default. See the Wikipedia page to clear up any uncertainty about quality encoding if you're unfamiliar with it.

Novoalign should also do quite well with reads of that length, as well as perhaps Stampy. Not sure how Galaxy will work out performancewise if you are generating data very regularly, it might be better to have a multithreaded aligner working locally - especially if they are able to ramp up output as much as they claim.

Comment

Thanks both. Colindaven - we will be installing galaxy locally on a research cluster.

Comment

TMAP is a freely available mapping software for Ion Torrent data. Released under the GPLv2, the source code is available at the Torrent Dev section of ioncommunity at http://ioncommunity.iontorrent.com.

At Torrent Dev, we have details on FASTQ formats produced in Torrent Suite software, in case anyone has questions on those formats.

We understand that the question of what aligners work best with Ion Torrent data. We had to answer that question ourselves, and we developed TMAP as a reasonable answer to this question. We fully anticipate other aligners to support Ion Torrent data as the platform matures. We are excited to work with both users and developers to improve TMAP for Ion Torrent data, as well as answer questions to help other alignment tools support semiconductor sequencing data.

Comment

T-MAP details

Does TMAP align sequence reads without a reference map, or does it need a reference? I'd like to sequence reduced representation libraries (like RAD-TAG) from multiple individuals belonging to species for which a reference sequence is not available. Would T-MAP be able to align these sequence tags just on their own.. and I could then identify SNPs from them directly?

Comment

Originally posted by Tectona View Post
              Does TMAP align sequence reads without a reference map, or does it need a reference? I'd like to sequence reduced representation libraries (like RAD-TAG) from multiple individuals belonging to species for which a reference sequence is not available. Would T-MAP be able to align these sequence tags just on their own.. and I could then identify SNPs from them directly?
              No, it compares the reads to a reference (aligner), whereas I think you are asking for an assembler.

Comment

Is there a direct link to download Tmap for a test drive?

Had a hard time finding the torrent dev link
                and then i had to register to enter.

here's direct link for benefit of others

anyway, I am interested in the ram requirements and also just an offshoot, is there any reason why BWA or bowtie won't work with the Ion Torrent FastQ format?
                http://kevin-gattaca.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses