r1 : ACCGTACGT
    r2 : AC......T

Will the CIGARs be:

2M1I6M
    2M6N1M

OR will it be:
    2M1I6M
    2M5N1M

In other words, if there are alignment positions with possible insertions in the reference, will the skipped positions (Ns) take into account these possible insertions?

Also, how do mappers determine segments with skipped N positions?

Thanks!

Originally posted by pieffe View Post
    Just wondering if anybody can help me to understand the following example:

ref: AC GTACGT
    r1 : ACCGTACGT
    r2 : AC......T

Will the CIGARs be:

2M1I6M
    2M6N1M

OR will it be:
    2M1I6M
    2M5N1M

In other words, if there are alignment positions with possible insertions in the reference, will the skipped positions (Ns) take into account these possible insertions?

Also, how do mappers determine segments with skipped N positions?

Thanks!
    Code:
    ref: AC GTACGT
    r1 :  ACCGTACGT
    r2 :  AC......T
    In my opinion r2 is not valid. The "." is meant to represent skipping a base within the read that correspond to a reference base, not an insertion. The inserted base should be represented with an "N" if it the inserted base is unknown. Therefore r2 should be "ACN.....T" and the cigar would be 2M1I5N1M.

You may want to send an email to the samtools-help mailing list for clarification.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply. I think what you says makes sense. However, in the SAM specifications, there is an example where the alignment is spliced and the read does not have a 'N' symbol at all, and yet the cigar has 32N in it.

I tried to use samtools to dig into this, but got even more confused. I guess I am going to ask to the authors of samtools for clarifications. I will post what I find out.

Thanks again!

Comment

Originally posted by pieffe View Post
        Thank you for your prompt reply. I think what you says makes sense. However, in the SAM specifications, there is an example where the alignment is spliced and the read does not have a 'N' symbol at all, and yet the cigar has 32N in it.

I tried to use samtools to dig into this, but got even more confused. I guess I am going to ask to the authors of samtools for clarifications. I will post what I find out.

Thanks again!
        The "N" symbol in the read indicates a missing base, the "N" symbol in the cigar indicates a skipped reference base. The splice alignment has no "N" bases but skips reference bases, hence the "N" in the cigar string.
        Last edited by nilshomer; 03-11-2010, 12:53 PM.

Comment

Hi Nils,

I think I was too quick to email you a reply. I re-read your answer and you probably are right. The example in the SAM paper won't need N symbols in the read, since there are no insertions in reference.
          I guess that, if I am not misunderstanding, whenever a read has a I symbol in the cigar, other reads will either have P symbols in the cigar or they will have a N symbol in the read and a I symbol in the cigar.

Thanks again,
          PF

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
            by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
            04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
          • seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
          0 responses