Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reads align in an RF orientation in Nextera paired-end sequencing?

I am analysing Nextera paired-end sequencing data and have discovered that ~25% of the reads align in an RF orientation, but I'm not sure why? According to the biochemistry of the sample preparation there should only be FR orientated reads?

There are tools out there that will incorrectly call read orientation if the insert size is shorter than read length. How, specifically, did you do preprocessing (such as adapter-trimming), mapping, and calculate the orientations?

Also, is this a Nextera fragment or LMP library? The LMP libraries can produce output in either orientation.
    Last edited by Brian Bushnell; 02-27-2015, 04:18 PM.

Comment

I trimmed the adapters using Trimmomatic in PE mode using the Nextera-PE adapters provided. I then mapped the trimmed reads using Bowtie2, with max insert size set to 2000. I then removed PCR duplicates using Picard's MarkDuplicates. I then wanted to look at the insert distribution size and that's when Picard's CollectInsertSizeMetrics reported that I had both RF and FR orientated reads. If I plot a graph of the RF insert sizes, most of them are the size of my reads (~125) but I do still get a lot which are significanly bigger (~500-900bp). It's a bit odd that 75% map in the correct FR orientation, and 25% map in the RF orientation. At first I thought this may be to do with the tagmentation process used by the transposomes. The transposomes are dimers made up of two monomers, each of which has a sinle primer attached. The monomers are made by mixing them in a solution with 50% forward primers and 50% reverse primers. The monomers then dimerise and are used for tagmentation. That means that the 25% of the transposome dimers have two forward primers, 25% have two reverse and 50% have both the forward and reverse. The sample is from an ATAC-seq experiment, it does not have a circularised fragment step, so I don't think it is a LMP library, but a Nextera fragment

Commands used:

# Trimming
      java -jar Trimmoamtic.jar PE \
      -threads 1 \
      sample_1.fastq \
      sample_2.fastq \
      sample_1P.fastq \
      sample_1U.fastq \
      sample_2P.fastq \
      sample_2U.fastq \
      ILLUMINACLIP:NexteraPE-PE.fa:2:30:10:1:true \
      LEADING:20 \
      TRAILING:20 \
      SLIDINGWINDOW:4:15 \
      MINLEN:15

# Mapping
      bowtie2 -X 2000 \
      -p 4 \
      -x genome \
      -1 sample_1P.fastq \
      -2 sample_2P.fast \
      -S sample.sam

# Remove PCR duplicates
      java -Xmx2g -XX:ParallelGCThreads=4 -jar Picard.jar MarkDuplicates \
      I=sample.sorted.bam \
      O=sample.sorted.rmdup.bam \
      M=sample.sorted.rmdup.pcrMetrics \
      REMOVE_DUPLICATES=true \
      ASSUME_SORTED=true \
      VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT

# Collect insert sizes
      java -jar Picard.jar CollectInsertSizeMetrics \
      I=sample.sorted.rmdup.bam \
      O=sample_insertsize.metrics \
      H=sample_insertsize.pdf \
      VALIDATION_STRINGENCY=LENIENT

Comment

Interesting Question - If I find the time...

...I might try replicating what you've done using my own Nextera PE libraries. That would have an effect on how assemblers can be tailored for Nextera chemistry.

Thanks for the detailed response.

Comment

I wrote a program for binning Nextera LMP libraries into LMP, short-fragment, unknown, and singleton sets. The usage is like this:

splitnextera.sh in=<file> out=<file> outf=<file> outu=<file> outs=<file>

It's part of the BBTools package.

Comment

wrong RF orientated reads in atac-seq bam file

Originally posted by jmacrm91 View Post
            I am analysing Nextera paired-end sequencing data and have discovered that ~25% of the reads align in an RF orientation, but I'm not sure why? According to the biochemistry of the sample preparation there should only be FR orientated reads?
            We have had the same problem with our atac-seq (first time ever analysed it) and couldn't find any explanation or answer to this problem. Have you or anyone here found the solution/answer for it and could share with us please? Thank you in advance!

Karen

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
            0 responses