SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RNA-seq variant calling and merging replicate data ErikFas Bioinformatics 13 02-08-2016 11:35 PM
Strelka: Somatic small-variant calling workflow for matched tumor-normal samples ctsa Bioinformatics 15 12-15-2014 01:38 AM
GATK excludes some samples for cohort variant calling liu_xt005 Bioinformatics 2 02-01-2012 11:58 AM

Old 07-05-2017, 08:05 AM   #1
Eurioste

Question Correct way of merging samples for father, mother, child trio variant calling

I am new to NGS data analysis and I'm working in a multiple-sample variant calling workflow. I have Illumina-Miseq fastq files (paired end, raw reads) for a father, mother and child trio, one pair for each individual, totalling 6 files. I could trim, align, do the pre-processing and variant calling for each individual pair separately (I'm skipping indel-realignment and quality recalibration, for the sake of simplicity, as this workflow is intended for learning only), but I wish to merge the samples into a single file. I wish that the alignment step (with BWA-MEN), the pre-processing steps (with Picard) and the variant calling step (with FreeBayes), are done at once for all samples, if possible and correct, while taking in consideration the correct paired end mates and the respective read groups (when applicable).

My final goal is to obtain a single vcf file from which I'll compute the total number of different kinds of variants.

At which step, in which file format and with which Galaxy tools can I merge the samples in a manner that I can get correct, meaninful results at the variant calling step?
Eurioste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 08:01 PM   #2
finswimmer

Hello,

in my opinion you have no benefit if you merge your reads and do all the steps at once. It should be enough to do the variant calling for all samples together. Freebayes have the possibility to define multiple bam files as inputs and the result will be a multisample vcf file.

fin swimmer
finswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bam, variant calling, vcf