X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sequencing Library Construction of Solexa

Hi All,
    1) What is Solexa?
    Last edited by chloe_giselle; 12-29-2011, 10:47 PM.

Please search before posting. This is the most basic of questions.

Comment

Originally posted by chloe_giselle View Post
      Hi All,

I am new to NGS and I am still trying hard to understand Solid and Solexa.

I defined "sequencing library" as the library prepared in the wetlab for being sequenced by a sequencer.

1) What are the methods used for constructing sequencing library in Solexa?
      Hi Chloe,
      Your very first post and already being chastised by the forum's owner. Not the best beginning for you.

There isn't really a "Solexa" any more. The company was purchased by Illumina some years ago and use of the old name "Solexa" has fallen by the wayside.
      This question is too vague. There are numerous methods for constructing libraries for use on an Illumina sequencer.
      2) How about for Solid? What are the differences in the construction between these two?
      This question is of some interest to me. My answer probably won't help you get a good grade on your home work, if that is where this question comes from. Because I doubt whomever wrote the question knows the actual answer.

They differ from library construction for the SOLiD mainly for historical reasons. With a little effort you could use Illumina library construction kits for constructing SOLiD libraries and vice-versa.

The only real distinction between a library made for a SOLiD and one made for an Illumina sequencer are that they use difference template PCR (ePCR for SOLiD, cluster/bridge PCR for Illumina) adapter sequences. Especially the sequence of the primer actually attached to the substrate (bead or flowcell) is instrument specific.

In addition, Illumina typically employes a single, partially double-stranded Y-adapter for library construction, whereas the older, two adapter approach is still used by SOLiD.
      Please advise me. I need to know this urgently so that I can quickly work on my experiment. Many thanks in advance
      There you go: enough rope to hang yourself.

--
      Phillip

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses