Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MUMmer VS blastp

I just finish a bacteria genome, then compare two genomes of the same genus. I hesitate between the MUMmer and blastp. Please give me some suggestions. And also, is there any software to get a dot plot from the result of blastp?

yes, you can try BSR, it is based on blastp.
    Bluehost - Top rated web hosting provider - Free 1 click installs For blogs, shopping carts, and more. Get a free domain name, real NON-outsourced 24/7 support, and superior speed. web hosting provider php hosting cheap web hosting, Web hosting, domain names, front page hosting, email hosting. We offer affordable hosting, web hosting provider business web hosting, ecommerce hosting, unix hosting. Phone support available, Free Domain, and Free Setup.

good luck!

Comment

Thank you for bio-x's kind help. I think accurately I'd like to get a dot plot of two genomes's ortholog plot by reciprocal best-hit pair from the result of pair-wise BLASTP. I guess there must be some software which is suitable to do this. Please give me some suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by anyone1985 View Post
        I think accurately I'd like to get a dot plot of two genomes's ortholog plot by reciprocal best-hit pair from the result of pair-wise BLASTP.
        "promer" from the Mummer suite will effectively do want you want. Although it doesn't examine "genes" it matches translated regions, which if there is a good match, are likely to be orthologs (or paralogs) anyway.

Comment

Yes, promer is pretty good. However, I'd like to draw the graph exactly. The promer can not give a clear position to identify the gene. Many literatures have figures as below. I am intrested in which software can draw such figure.

Originally posted by Torst View Post
          "promer" from the Mummer suite will effectively do want you want. Although it doesn't examine "genes" it matches translated regions, which if there is a good match, are likely to be orthologs (or paralogs) anyway.
          Attached Files

Comment

does anyone know how to fix the following MUMmer error?

where textlen is the same as the length of build36 (hg18)

./mummer: suffix tree construction failed: textlen=3080436075 larger than maximal textlen=536870908

Comment

Try:

The corresponding paper can be found here:

Comment

@robs

thanks, but the link says:

[Thanks for the hint about the recent "MEMs" implementation that "can serve as a drop-in replacement for the MEMs algorithm in MUMmer 3". Seems to be working perfectly where MUMmer crashed :-) --Dan 15:08, 5 January 2010 (UTC)]

what was the original hint? (sorry for any stupidity)

Comment

Not sure what you mean with "original hint". There is only one hint and if you take a look at the paper you will see that the quote is actually from there.
                  The MEMs implementation has a mummer module that can be used instead of the MUMmer3 one. By doing this, mummer shouldn't crash anymore. More details are in the paper.

Comment

@robs

thanks so much for your help.

Comment

To solve the textlen problem, build a 64-bit version, and make sure
                      #define SIXTYFOURBITS is set in types.h.
                      (Grep for the one place this is used, to see where to set it).

Comment

Originally posted by Will Nelson View Post
                        To solve the textlen problem, build a 64-bit version, and make sure
                        #define SIXTYFOURBITS is set in types.h.
                        (Grep for the one place this is used, to see where to set it).
                        First, thanks for, as far as I can tell, the only solution to the mummer textlen problem on the web...

Not being an hardcore programmer, but a biologist-come-bioinformatician (more like a user of programs), it took me some time to figure out how to implement it, though. What you meant was to add this line

Code:
                        #define SIXTYFOURBITS
                        to the src/kurtz/libbasedir/types.h file before the line where it says

Code:
                        #ifdef SIXTYFOURBITS
                        and then run

Code:
                        make install
                        again.

(I had begun to 'uncomment' the ifdef line, causing all kinds of errors - like I said, not a programmer)

Just clarifying for future generations...

Comment

This thread also supplies another solution:

"
                          If you recompile the package like so:

> make clean
                          > make CPPFLAGS="-O3 -DSIXTYFOURBITS"

you should have no more problems with space limitations.

Best,
                          -Adam
                          "

Comment

I want to compare to genomes with 87%similarity, I cant decide should I use Promer or NUCMER?

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
                            • seqadmin
                              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
                              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
                              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
                            0 responses
                            0 likes
                            Last Post seqadmin  
                            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
                            0 responses