Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calling tri-allelic SNPs using samtools (or similar)

Hi folks,

We work with sea urchin larvae in our lab. They are very, very, very tiny and, thus, we need to collect a whole bunch of them at a time to get sufficient starting material for NGS. Urchins are also highly polymorphic.

RESULT: There are times in which some SNPs are effectively tri-allelic in a single sample, something that simply isn't ever going to happen if your sample consists of a happily diploid individual human (or medical model system of your choice).

To see what happens when one has three alleles at a polymorphic site, I constructed a fake dataset (which I can provide) consisting of three reads each of three different haplotypes. Using samtools mpileup, I can generate the following line for the base in question

Code:
    samtools mpileup -f mySeqs.fa combined.bam > combined.pileup

dgarfield$ less combined.pileup | grep 124217
    Scaffold1200	124217	G	9	aaattt,,,	=========p
    Great, the program sees that there are three alleles at 124217

Now, lets take a look at the results of bcftools view

Code:
    samtools mpileup -uf mySeqs.fa combined.bam > combined.pileup_u

dgarfield$ bcftools view -cg combined.pileup_u | grep 124217
    Scaffold1200	124217	.	G	T	19.1	.	DP=9;AF1=0.5;CI95=0.5,0.5;DP4=0,3,0,6;MQ=60;FQ=19.1;PV4=1,1,1,1	GT:PL:GQ	0/1:49,0,49:49
    T? That was not what I was expecting. I was hoping for A,T,G

That brings me to my two questions.

1) Given the equal balance of alleles at SNP 124217, why does bcftools choose 'T'?
    2) Are there any situations in which bcftools can return more than two alleles at a single SNP?

Any insights would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

David

Here's a response I got from the samtools mailing list...not overly encouraging for Samtools for this problem. Any suggestions for other good SNP calling programs?

You should have been hoping for "A,T" not "T" or "A,T,G" because G is the reference so not an alternate allele.

But samtools and bcftools can't handle your situation. The current version always assumes the sample is diploid.
    I understand there is some experimentation at handling haploid samples (good for X and Y chromosomes
    as well as true haploid situations), but handling high ploidy/arbitrary mixtures is something else that needs its
    own calculations with a prior over distributions on the four nucleotides (or more if you want to consider overlapping
    indels).

Comment

Another response from Heng Li on the samtools help list

Samtools-0.1.13 always assumes the sample is diploid and on a diploid genome, it is impossible to have three different alleles. Nonetheless, you may still see two alternative alleles in a single sample. This indicates that the sample has two alleles but both different from the reference.

However, samtools does not handle triallelic alleles properly. Although you may occasionally see them in the VCF report, the QUAL and the GT are not computed in the proper way. Perhaps glfmultiples is better in this case. Note that glfmultiples also assumes the input is diploid. Multi-ploidy and multi-allele are two different issues.

Heng

Comment

Oh, all kinds of good things. More from Heng Li.

Samtools is not designed for pooling experiments. There are a few callers designed for that, but I do not know which is the best. For estimating allele frequency from DNA pools, someone used to point me to:

Recent statistical analyses suggest that sequencing of pooled samples provides a cost effective approach to determine genome-wide population genetic parameters. Here we introduce PoPoolation, a toolbox specifically designed for the population genetic analysis of sequence data from pooled individuals …

I have never read the paper carefully, though.

Heng

And from Manuel Rivas at the Broad

Hello David,

You can also use Syzygy for pooled data available at:

Best,
        Manuel
        Manuel distinguishes between Syzygy and GATK

Syzygy is used for targeted sequencing applications (customized seq, pooled
        seq, and is applicable to whole exome sequencing as well) with both
        individual and pooled level data. For small genomes it would work well.

GATK's functionality is for whole genome applications and whole exome
        applications with individual level data.
        Poking around a bit on the web, it seems like VARiD might be a good option for some kinds of reads, but I've not used it myself. I'd be keen to hear from anyone how knows how VARiD does with pooled samples.

http://compbio.cs.utoronto.ca/varid/

Happy Computing,

DG
        Last edited by dagarfield; 03-11-2011, 07:11 AM.

Comment

We work with mixed samples coming from different individuals and we have developed an SNP caller to work with them. You can take a look at:

Best regards,

Jose Blanca

Comment

Whilst your specific problem is not one that I have had to consider - I have been working with anonomous (unbarcoded) sample pools. I have found these SNP callers useful;

SYZYGY
            FREE BAYES
            VarScan

My understanding of VARiD is that it was not suitable for my application (non-barcoded data) in that it treats DNA from the same read group as originating from the same sample. I may have this wrong though.

Good Luck.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
            • seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:37 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-27-2024, 06:07 PM
            0 responses