No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Galaxy] Strange QC Nucleotides Distribution Chart

Hi all,

I am new to the forum but excited about the wealth of knowledge available. I am working on a NGS project in Galaxy using data from an Illumina HiSeq 2000. The first part of my workflow uses the Toothbrush FASTQ Groomer to convert the raw, paired end Illumina .fastq files into .fastqsanger. Then, I use the FASTQ Summary Statistics tool and from there use the "Draw nucleotides distribution chart". The resulting chart can be seen here.

Have any of you seen anything like this? My intuition is that the problem lies with the grooming illumina to sanger step, but I am very new to the field. If there is any other information I can provide to help diagnose the problem, please let me know.

Thanks.

Hi,

Please check the raw .fastq files to see what the result is. You may use FastQC, an easy-to-use tool that provides lots of quality-related information.

Douglas

Comment

Hi Douglas,

I took the first 10,000 lines of one of the files and ran it through FastQC. Here is the result.

Comment

From the summary, GC content is 50%, which looks good. I got warnings on per base GC content and per sequence GC content. I never used FastQC in Galaxy but standalone. It should generate plots. Can you check the plots to see what they show exactly.

Douglas

Comment

Here are the plots which are in error:

Edit: The increase in quality over the first 13 bases is apparently an artifact generated by the quality calculation algorithm used by Illumina, which now takes into account the preceding and following 13 bp's.
          Last edited by zippered_ohio; 06-28-2011, 01:26 PM. Reason: add info

Comment

I think your sequencing quality could be a big problem according to FastQC. and you`d better contact your sequencing staffs to explore reasons

BTW, you can see good and bad quality distribution on FastQC web site (http://www.bioinformatics.bbsrc.ac.u...qc_report.html)
            (http://www.bioinformatics.bbsrc.ac.u...qc_report.html)
            Last edited by tujchl; 06-29-2011, 12:04 AM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
              by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
              Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
              03-08-2024, 10:41 AM
            • seqadmin
              The Impact of AI in Genomic Medicine
              by seqadmin

Artificial intelligence (AI) has evolved from a futuristic vision to a mainstream technology, highlighted by the introduction of tools like OpenAI's ChatGPT and Google's Gemini. In recent years, AI has become increasingly integrated into the field of genomics. This integration has enabled new scientific discoveries while simultaneously raising important ethical questions1. Interviews with two researchers at the center of this intersection provide insightful perspectives into...
              02-26-2024, 02:07 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 03-14-2024, 06:13 AM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 03-08-2024, 08:03 AM
            0 responses