Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• removing chromosomes from a bam file.

I'm trying to upload a bam file, from an alignment to GRCh38 that I've done, to a google genomics dataset, associating it with the reference set for GRCh38. The reason it fails given in the logfile reads:

Code:
    reference names must be a subset of those of the requested
        reference set: missing ["chr1" "chr10" "chr11" "chr11_KI270721v1_random" "chr12"
        "chr13" "chr14" "chr14_GL000009v2_random" "chr14_GL000194v1_random" "chr14_GL000225v1_random" ...
    It goes on to list another 40 or so fragments. If I do a quick

Code:
    samtools idxstats cal1.bam
    I do indeed get a whole bunch of chromosome fragments listed. The best I can come up with is that the referenceset on google genomics doesn't like all the fragments, thus the reference names must be a subset message.
    The obvious workaround to test this, is to remove those chromosomes from the bam file. Unfortunately,

Code:
    samtools view -b cal1.bam chr1 chr2 chr3 > cal-sub-1.bam
    samtools index cal-sub-1.bam cal-sub-1.bai
    samtools idxstats cal-sub-1.bam
    returns a bam file that indeed, removes all the reads from the fragments from the bam file. It still lists the actual fragments though, which in turn, when I try and load to the google genomics dataset, gives me the same error.

How to I remove all references to the fragments from the bam file? Or is that not what the googlegenomics upload is objecting to.

Thanks
    Ben.

Did you check the headers from the subset BAM files? Those may still contain the offending chromosomes.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
    • seqadmin
      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:37 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 06:07 PM
    0 responses