No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how to compare tophat output files with and without "_random" sequences

Hi,

I am trying to compare two RNAseq datasets obtained using Ilumina in two different dates.
    I have the aligned files using Tophat but when I try to run Cufflinks I get the error message "Error: sort order of reads in BAMs must be the same".
    I have checked the header of the aligned.bam files (with samtools view) and realized that one of the datasets had sequences aligned to a genome containing sequences which could not be specifically located on a chromosome (these are sequences called chr6_random, chr9_random etc. etc.) and the other did not. This means that one file has some sequences aligned to a location which is not present at all in the other and this is why Cufflinks is not able to work.

Does anyone know what is the problem with my files and have any suggestion on how to fix this without remapping?
    I have actually tried to remap some of the files but I am still getting the same type of aligned sequences in each case...

Thanks!
    EA

You can just remove the lines with the different chromosome_ID using samtools:

samtools view aligned.bam chr1 chr2 ... chrN > aligned.chr1-N.bam

BAM needs to be coordinate sorted (samtools sort), indexed (samtools index).

Did you use the same reference to align to? You could remove these 'random' chromosomes/contigs from the reference so you just have the 'consensus' chromosomes (this presumes you are working on a well enough annotated species).

Comment

Thanks! I'll try this.
      Yes, I'm using the mm9, so it should be well annotated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
      • seqadmin
        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
      0 responses