Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extra "C" Peaks

The last plate I ran on our ABI 3730 had a very strange problem with the traces that I haven't seen before and I can't seem to find anything about it online either. Every time there was a "C" base call, the following peak had a smaller "C" peak underneath it. It seemed to be template-independent as I had DNA from a number of different projects (different extraction methods, different people doing the extractions, etc.) on the same plate and they all had this problem. The plates we'd run just the day before looked great - and even these plates weren't horrible, they just had lower quality than normal because of these strange extra "C" peaks.

Any idea what might be causing this? I've read that BigDye issues tend to affect "G" bases first, array issues (in my experience anyway) tend to affect the timing and spacing of the peaks, and salt contamination just lowers signal strength in general, so none of those are likely to be the problem, and I can't think of anything else that would be template-independent.

Thanks in advance!

It does sound like a degradation issue with your BigDye. ABI has a really useful guide to all sorts of problems:
    Thermo Fisher Scientific enables our customers to make the world healthier, cleaner and safer. Delivering technology, pharmaceutical and biotechnology services.

It could be that the degradation is not in the BigDye stock, but is happening after you prep your samples. We always cover ours with mineral oil to prevent problems like this.

Comment

Thank you so much! I'd been trying to find more info through ABI's documents but hadn't come across that one - it'll be a great resource to have in the future.

Comment

Have you solved your extra "c" probkem? It is C-shoulder problem caused by purification process. If you use aline biosciences Pureseq, the problem would be eliminated.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
          by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
          03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
        • seqadmin
          Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
          by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
          Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
          03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
        0 responses