No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tophat with GRC37

Hey there!

I am trying to use tophat (1.0.7) with the new human genome version GRC37 (aka hg19). I get an error quite late into it:

Sat May 9 23:25:26 2009] Mapping reads against hg19 with Bowtie
    [Sat May 9 23:55:13 2009] Searching for junctions via coverage islands
    [Sun May 10 00:03:52 2009] Searching for junctions via mate-pair closures
    [Sun May 10 07:49:28 2009] Retrieving sequences for splices
    [Sun May 10 08:53:56 2009] Indexing splices
    Error: Reference sequence has more than 2^32-1 characters! Please divide the
    reference into batches or chunks of about 3.6 billion characters or less each
    and index each independently.
    [FAILED]
    Error: Splice sequence indexing failed

I have a single fasta file with hg19 and have created all the bowtie indexes.

Wondering what is the best way to split the file and how should I name it.

Thanks a lot, and thanks for all the hard work that went into making tophat and bowtie.

a

Hi,

This is actually a bug in the latest beta (1.0.7). TopHat builds a Bowtie index of possible splice junctions and then aligns the reads back to this splice index to confirm them. The crash occurs because with some types of reads, TopHat can produce an excessive amount of possible junctions, and the Bowtie indexer bails out.

I'll have a fix up in a few days. Sorry for the trouble.

Cole

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses