No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• over representation of reads mappign to UTRs

HI,

We have mapped illumina reads using a combination of soap and bowtie. Reads (35nt) were mapped w/ soap and the non-mapped set was iteratively remapped after trimming from 5' and 3' down to 21nt. Bowtie was used to select 'best mapping' reads from the set that mapped to multiple positions.

Looking at the mapping for many genes, it appears we have an over-representation of mappings to the UTRs:

There are also gaps in the mappings to some exons which may be due to alt splicing .

Comments? I'd like to be certain mapping is OK prior to looking for DE.

Charles

Just the 3' UTRs? Your picture shows strong bias towards mapping reads to the 3' end of that gene. This is to be expected using many rRNA depletion/cDNA synthesis methods. That is, methods that either purify mRNA using a hybridization to a polyA tail or prime first strand cDNA synthesis using an oligo dT primer will bias the resulting library toward 3' mapping reads.

No mystery here, the polyA tail is on the 3' end of a transcript, so if you pull out template or prime synthesis on the basis of that tail you get cDNA that is biased 3'. The more highly degraded the RNA, the higher the bias.

What method of library construction was used? Was any initial QC done to determine how intact the initial RNA sample was?

--
    Phillip
    Last edited by pmiguel; 08-04-2011, 08:37 AM.

Comment

Bear in mind that this is also often seen as an effect of the method used to fragment RNA, which is well documented in the literature. Similar comment to previous reader (i.e. a library problem) but different step in the library preparation. If you fragment RNA (e.g. hydrolysis of RNA into 200-300 nucleotides prior to reverse transcription ) before preparing the cDNA, you are more likely to achieve more uniform coverage of the gene, as is usually done.

In any case, like with all NGS experiments, get to know the experimental protocol used, which has a big effect on what you see in the end....

With the data you have you are still likely to obtain good estimates of gene expression, but you will not be able to use your data to perform more sophisticated approaches, e.g. alt. splicing, etc.
      --------------------------------------
      Elia Stupka
      Co-Director and Head of Unit
      Center for Translational Genomics and Bioinformatics
      San Raffaele Scientific Institute
      Via Olgettina 58
      20132 Milano
      Italy
      ---------------------------------------

Comment

As Phillip said, the lower the RNA stability, the higher the bias towards 3'UTRs, especially with oligodT selected mRNAs.
        Do you have an idea about the global trend, like the overall proportion of reads in 3'UTR? In regular RNA-seq data with standard Illumina protocols I frequently find about 20% of the reads that overlap a 3'UTR.

Comment

Thanks All,

I was not involved in the library prep, but have asked for details and will post them when I hear back.

I'm going to characterize this trend now for all genes, I'll post that as well.

thanks!

Charles

Comment

Hi All,

I've checked the # reads mapping to 5utr, cds,3utr and it does appear there was likely degradation of the polyA prior to fragmentation:

>summary(cds$utr5)
            Min. 1st Qu. Median Mean 3rd Qu. Max.
            1.00 1.00 3.00 12.02 6.00 2689.00

> summary(cds$cds)
            1.0 11.0 24.0 113.7 54.0 22640.0

summary(cds$utr3)
            1.0 16.0 42.0 177.8 111.0 17710.0

I think we can still extract DE analysis as counts/gene are being compared across treatments?

Charles

Comment

Yes, more than 50 reads just considering the CDS sounds quite good to me -although I don't have any precise standards in mind

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
              • seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
              0 responses