SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New RNA-Seq library prep kit epibio Vendor Forum 40 07-23-2014 01:48 AM
Hi, one question about RNA-Seq library prep floraliu Introductions 0 06-21-2011 02:03 PM
small RNA-seq library prep sharmistha.6@gmail.com Illumina/Solexa 0 04-19-2011 07:26 AM
RNA-seq library prep problems katussa10 Sample Prep / Library Generation 5 01-13-2011 08:56 AM
RNA-seq library prep problem rpickin Sample Prep / Library Generation 1 06-25-2010 05:39 AM

Old 01-31-2012, 06:51 AM   #1
turnersd

Default RNA-seq library prep without poly-A selection

Hello. I'm working on a project to examine gene expression in a system where RNA-processing has gone awry. I expect to see aberrant splicing, alternative transcription start site usage, aberrant poly-adenylation and capping, etc. RNA-seq is the perfect tool for looking at both differential expression and strange RNA-structural events.

But I don't want to do a poly-A selection because I'll probably lose all these odd transcripts that I'm most interested in that might not be properly polyadenylated, spliced, capped, etc. Yet I don't want to sequence a ton of rRNAs and tRNAs.

What kind of library preparation techniques should I investigate that don't require a poly-A selection?

Many thanks.
turnersd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:35 AM   #2
gringer
David Eccles (gringer)

Quote:
Yet I don't want to sequence a ton of rRNAs and tRNAs.

What kind of library preparation techniques should I investigate that don't require a poly-A selection?
Given that RNA selection can be biased and will not necessarily remove all rRNAs, and current NGS sequencers give you oodles of data to play around with, I don't see a problem with sequencing the rRNA as well as other RNA.

Let's say you have 80% rRNA in your sample, and 80% mappable reads. The amount of mappable non-rRNA sample will be about 16% of the original reads, so if you've got 100M single-end reads then that's 16M non-rRNA reads. With 50bp reads, that's a mean coverage of ~7x for a 120Mb transcriptome (vs ~33x for a "perfect" rRNA extraction).
gringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 08:27 AM   #3
apratap

One way to do it is two extract RNA in two steps. 1.) Capture Poly-A tail 2.) Perform ribosomal depletion on the leftover sample and the leftover should contain Poly A-.

When we do this we still see about 70-80% of the #2 sample still contain rRNA/tRNA.

I would be interested in knowing if others can get a cleaner sample and methods used.

Thanks!
-Abhi
apratap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Gustavo

Consider using duplex-specific nuclease (DSN):
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...fic%20nuclease
Gustavo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 03:51 AM   #5
pbluescript

If you don't get rid of the rRNA, you might miss some of the rare/odd transcripts you mentioned you wanted to look for. Size selection is enough to get rid of tRNAs, which are generally under 100bp long. For rRNAs, I would use a ribosome depletion kit. Getting rid of those reads would be very useful in getting the depth you might need to see aberrant transcripts.
pbluescript is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 AM   #6
mediator

You can just do two rounds of rRNA removal. I've used invitrogen's ribominus, cleared more than 90% of rRNA in first round (confirmed by real time PCR of 18s).
mediator is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
library construction, library prep, library preparation, rna-seq, splicing