SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Sequencing Technologies/Companies > Illumina/Solexa



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Strange higher band in Bioanalyzer after size selection JNissen Sample Prep / Library Generation 6 07-12-2013 11:10 AM
Agilent Bioanalyzer refuses to size bands pmiguel Sample Prep / Library Generation 13 03-09-2012 03:29 AM
miRNA sequencing, sample size? mrfox Bioinformatics 1 02-16-2012 06:34 AM
Problems with Invitrogen Size Select E-gels for Illumina RNA-Seq Library Sample Prep? Jerry Glenn Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 04-18-2011 07:14 AM
ChIP seq - Different DNA size on agarosgel and Bioanalyzer Leeenaaa Introductions 0 02-21-2011 12:23 AM

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 08:42 PM   #1
RUmustang
Junior Member
 
Location: walnut creek, CA

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default Help! illumina sequencing sample size shifted in Bioanalyzer?

I am currently working on illumina sequencing sample preparation. For final PCR product, I check the same samples using invitrogen E-gel and bioanalyzer, but the DNA size from Bioanalyzer is always around 100bp larger than that on E-gel. I cut the 250bp band out of gel and qiagen column purified it, but I got a 350-400bp peak in Bioanalyzer. I am wondering if anybody here had the same experience and if this sample could still be sequenced. Thanks a lot.
RUmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 09:12 AM   #2
LMcSeq
Member
 
Location: Maryland--we have a HiSeq too!

Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 33
Default

Try cleaning the bayonette cartridge in the bioanalyzer and rerunning first. We sometimes get shifts in samples and it's just because it needs a good cleaning. Soak it in molecular grade water overnight and then see what the run looks like.
LMcSeq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 10:09 PM   #3
RUmustang
Junior Member
 
Location: walnut creek, CA

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

thanks for the reply. Actually I run the E-gel DNA ladder and a regular PCR product (not an illumina sample) in the bioanalyzer. Both sizes are correct. I guess maybe my illumina samples contain some sort of complicated secondary structures. BTW, I forget to mention that the primers I used are not from illumina. I don't know if the illumina primers are modified so that they will give me the clean PCR product.
RUmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 12:48 PM   #4
glucoses14
Junior Member
 
Location: CA

Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 1
Default I got the same problem recently

Hi,
I am glad I am not the only one to get this. I also use none-illumina primer. At first, my libraries are fine and recently, the size shifted about 100bp up and I also suspect this is an artificial library. May I ask if what PCR reagent you are using? 2X phusion master mix or following the illumina protocol by adding enzyme, buffer, dNTP separately?


thanks d for the discussion.
glucoses14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:35 PM   #5
RUmustang
Junior Member
 
Location: walnut creek, CA

Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 4
Default

I used phusion polymerase and added those reagents separately. Additionally, I don't think it's phusion's issue since I tried pfu as well and got similar products. I guess we got complicated secondary structures in our PCR product (not just linear double stranded DNA) which cause either gel or bioanalyzer size shift.
RUmustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO