Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Functional Annotation

What tool does everyone use to annotate ChIP-Seq peaks (i.e. nearest gene, etc). Is there a linux source I could download somewhere for it?

I suggest either:

a. Galaxy's "Operate on Genomic Intervals": http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/

or

b. BEDTools (admittedly my own command-line software). You would download genes and whatever annotations you are interested in (BED format) and then use the tools to find closest genes (closestBed), etc.
    bedtools.googlecode.com

Aaron

Comment

Originally posted by quinlana View Post
      I suggest either:

a. Galaxy's "Operate on Genomic Intervals": http://main.g2.bx.psu.edu/

or

b. BEDTools (admittedly my own command-line software). You would download genes and whatever annotations you are interested in (BED format) and then use the tools to find closest genes (closestBed), etc.
      bedtools.googlecode.com

Aaron
      Aaron,
      Can BEDtools find insersections in more than 2 bed files? For example, if I am doing ChIP-Seq for Factor A, B, C, & D and I want a single bed file telling me all the places enriched for all of the factors or 3 out of 4 etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RockChalkJayhawk View Post
        Aaron,
        Can BEDtools find insersections in more than 2 bed files? For example, if I am doing ChIP-Seq for Factor A, B, C, & D and I want a single bed file telling me all the places enriched for all of the factors or 3 out of 4 etc.
        Hi,
        BEDTools cannot do what you ask in a single command. However, there are multiple ways to do this with a couple commands. I demonstrate two possible solutions below (assuming I understood you correctly).

Based on your example, let's assume you have four BED files, each representing regions of enrichment for A, B, C, and D, respectively.

The following command will return all of the regions enriched for A that overlap (by at least 1bp) with regions enriched for B,C and D. The "-u" returns a unique entry even when multiple overlaps are found
        Code:
        $ intersectBed -a A.bed -b B.bed -u | \
          intersectBed -a stdin -b C.bed -u | \
          intersectBed -a stdin -b D.bed -u > ABCD.bed
        You could then mix and match commands like this to capture all possible situations.

An alternate and perhaps simpler way is to count the number of overlaps between A/B, A/C, A/D. The example below assumes each BED file has 6 columns (chrom, start, end) and the fourth column (hence the cut -f 4) is the count of overlaps b/w A and B which is returned by the "-c" option.

# Count the overlaps b/w A and the others. Every entry in A will have a count. It will be 0 if there were no overlaps
        Code:
        $ intersectBed -a A.bed -b B.bed -c | cut -f 4 > AtoB.counts
        $ intersectBed -a A.bed -b C.bed -c | cut -f 4 > AtoC.counts
        $ intersectBed -a A.bed -b D.bed -c | cut -f 4 > AtoD.counts
        # Now, let's paste the counts to the end of the A entries
        Code:
        $ paste A.bed AtoB.counts AtoC.counts AtoD.counts > AwithCounts.bed
        Now you will have something that looks like this:
        Code:
        chr1	100	200	0	2	1
        chr1	200	300	1	1	2
        chrY	100	200	0	0	0
        The first entry says that this A interval was also enriched in C and D, but not B.
        The second entry says that this A interval was also enriched in all 3 others.
        The third entry says that this A interval was not enriched in any others.

You would repeat for B, C and D and could then write a basic awk or perl script to ask your questions with such an output.

There are other ways to tackle this and obviously subtleties to the questions asked, but I hope this helps you get the ball rolling, as it were.

Aaron
        Last edited by quinlana; 01-29-2010, 02:26 PM. Reason: Corrected filenames in the second example.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
          Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
          by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
          04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
        • seqadmin
          Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
          by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
          04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
        Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 11:49 AM
        0 responses
        0 likes
        Last Post seqadmin  
        Started by seqadmin, 04-24-2024, 08:47 AM
        0 responses