No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reads trimming

Hello!

We use PGM for target sequencing. Picture of alignment for single amplicon is shown in attachment. Can someone explain why some reads are trimmed in the 3' end (i.e. reads dont form straight stack in the picture)? I mean at what stage of sequencing it happends. And can be 5' end trimmed? Trimming after sequencing by phred quatility was not done. There is no any strand bias of trimming. Reads are trimmed already in fastq file derived straightly from PGM, so it is not effect of any soft or tool.Trimming length differs from read to read, it is not constant.

Thanks in advance!

Click image for larger version

Name:	TRIMMING.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	308531
    Last edited by m4merg; 08-04-2014, 10:34 PM.

Were these reads paired?

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Bushnell View Post
      Were these reads paired?
      Single read sequencing was performed. Reads are not paired

Comment

So... are you certain that the ones trimmed on the left side are mapped to the plus strand, or might they be mapped to the minus strand? I'm not familiar with that visualizer.

Comment

So... are you certain that the ones trimmed on the left side are mapped to the plus strand, or might they be mapped to the minus strand? I'm not familiar with that visualizer.
          Yes, im sure. All reads are trimmed only from 3' end. There are also reverse reads, mapped to the minus strand and trimmed from 3' end, such reads just not shown on picture i've attached. So i've also asked whether 5' end trimming is possible or no.

Comment

There ARE tools that trim both the 5' and 3' end of reads. What software did you run the data through prior to mapping it?

...also, the mapper could have hard-clipped bases from the read. What mapper did you use, and what command line?

Comment

There ARE tools that trim both the 5' and 3' end of reads. What software did you run the data through prior to mapping it?

...also, the mapper could have hard-clipped bases from the read. What mapper did you use, and what command line?
              I know there are tools to trim reads, but as i said I didnt use any of them. Alignment was performed with bwa
              Code:
              bwa index -p $referenceName $referenceName.fasta
              bwa mem -t 4 $referenceName $readsFile.fastq > $readsFile.sam 2 > ErrorLog.log
              But as i said reads are not trimmed by soft. Reads are trimmed already in fastq file derived straightly from PGM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses