No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mark duplicates after fastq trimming?

Hello!
    I am fairly new to bioinformatics and have a question about using Picard Mark Duplicates after trimming Illumina sequence reads.

(I could not find the exact answer to my question, but I apologize if this a repeat question. Also, I originally posted this question as a reply to a really old thread (linked below), but thought perhaps it was more appropriate/helpful to start a new thread. I could not figure out how to delete my original post.)

I am using Trimmomatic to trim low quality bases and adapters from paired end whole genome DNA re-sequencing data (fastq files). I am aligning this data to a reference and will ultimately use the GATK to call snps.

My question is: Does anyone know how Picard Mark Duplicates knows which bases were trimmed from a read? If you trim bases from the 5' end of the read, how does Picard know that? Hoes does it know what the original 5' mapping position would have been, and thus which reads are potentially pcr duplicates? See link and quoted comment from user xguo below.

Thank you!
    Amanda

Originally Posted by xguo on this old thread:
    Discussion of next-gen sequencing related bioinformatics: resources, algorithms, open source efforts, etc

" The following is what I found from samtools-help list:

"Essentially what Picard does (for pairs; single-end data is also handled) is to find the 5' coordinates and mapping orientations of each read pair. When doing this it takes into account all clipping that has taking place as well as any gaps or jumps in the alignment. You can thus think of it as determining "if all the bases from the read were aligned, where would the 5' most base
    have been aligned". It then matches all read pairs that have identical 5' coordinates and orientations and marks as duplicates all but the "best" pair. "Best" is defined as the read pair having the highest sum of base qualities as bases with Q >= 15." "

If you conduct trimming at the fastq stage, then MarkDuplicates may not identify duplicates because the end coordinates of mapped duplicate read pairs may no longer match.

It appears that the GATK team no longer recommends read-trimming and considers it a "legacy practice":

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
      Today, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
    0 responses