No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ddRAD Post-PCR Bioanalyzer Has Multiple Peaks

Hello,

I have a problem with a post-PCR ddRAD library that was prepared using Peterson (2012). It was prepared along with another index for sequencing on one Illumina lane, and the pre-PCR size selection for both indices was supposed to be 454-509 bp.

However, the Bioanalyzer results show two smaller peaks for one of the indices that shouldn't be there (see attached images), and the smaller peaks should be outside the size-selection range. Thus, it must have post size selection.

Does anyone know what might have caused the two smaller peaks to occur, and should I worry about it during sequencing?

Thank you,

-Bradley
    Attached Files

I wonder how many PCR cycles you have done and what was the total yield.

Comment

Thank you for your prompt reply. I did 12 PCR cycles. The post-PCR yield was 45.6 ng/uL, which come to think of it does seem high. Pre-PCR DNA was ~1 ng/uL.

Comment

If you have run size selected tags on BA or still have remaining to run you can check for the presence of those peaks. I think the size selection has been sub optimal.

Other weak possibility is over amplification. I wonder what was the PCR input and final library elution volumes.

If it turns out to be over-amplification then a new library needs to be prepped. If it is result of size selection then you just will loose some reads and library can be sequenced.

Comment

Originally posted by nucacidhunter View Post
          If you have run size selected tags on BA or still have remaining to run you can check for the presence of those peaks. I think the size selection has been sub optimal.

Other weak possibility is over amplification. I wonder what was the PCR input and final library elution volumes.

If it turns out to be over-amplification then a new library needs to be prepped. If it is result of size selection then you just will loose some reads and library can be sequenced.
          Thanks for your input. The size selection was done on a Pippin Prep, and the elution volume was what the Pippin Prep manual recommends (can't remember exact amount at the moment, but I think 40uL?). PCR input was 5 uL repeated four times, followed by post-PCR AMPure XP pooling/cleanup of PCR product.

That's a good idea about running the size selected DNA on the BA. I will try that to see if the issue is pre or post PCR. I imagine that's about the only thing I can do at this point outside of re-doing library prep.

Comment

So you have used in total 20 ng of size selected tags for PCRs and got 45.6 ng/ul after pooled PCR clean up. I am interested to know what was the elution volume from beads to look at possibility of over-amplification.

Comment

So you have used in total 20 ng of size selected tags for PCRs and got 45.6 ng/ul after pooled PCR clean up. I am interested to know what was the elution volume from beads to look at possibility of over-amplification.
              After the post-PCR AMPure cleanup, I eluted in 30 uL. So there was 45.6 ng/uL in 30 uL.

I should note that when I did the PCR, both the index that worked well (first image) and the index that contained the multiple peaks were done at the same time.

Comment

It does not seem to be result of over-amplification. Most likely cassette lane has been faulty or other weak cause could be amplicon contamination from the lab if you have recently processed amplicons in those sizes recently in the same location.

Comment

It does not seem to be result of over-amplification. Most likely cassette lane has been faulty or other weak cause could be amplicon contamination from the lab if you have recently processed amplicons in those sizes recently in the same location.
                  That sounds reasonable to me. Thank you very much for your time and help. I greatly appreciate it.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                    Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                    by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                    03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                  • seqadmin
                    Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                    by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                    Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                    03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                  0 responses
                  0 likes
                  Last Post seqadmin  
                  Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                  0 responses