SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
analysis of RNA seq technical replicates sanbioinfo RNA Sequencing 1 07-08-2019 04:02 AM
Looking for papers with many technical replicates in bacterial RNA-seq Adiro RNA Sequencing 0 01-20-2019 05:18 AM
Question about biological vs technical replicates in RNA-seq analysis bjackson Bioinformatics 2 07-07-2015 12:47 PM
mRNA-seq experiment: how to deal with technical replicates Claudia34 RNA Sequencing 2 12-17-2014 04:39 AM
RNA-seq technical replicates at library construction level obig Bioinformatics 9 08-15-2012 11:43 PM

Old 09-14-2020, 06:40 AM   #1
yumpe

Default Availability of RNA-seq technical replicates

Hi all,

I'm looking for RNA-seq datasets (from any of the popular short-read platforms) that contains more than two technical replicates per sample. I specifically need read counts, not normalized data, also preferably poly-A enriched RNA but I could use anything, and any organism will do. I can find plenty of read count data from duplicate technical replicates, but I'm looking for data with at least 3, but preferably as large number of technical replicates as possible. I wonder if anyone really dug into the reproducibility or RNA-seq in their hands and did 10 technical replicates from a given sample? Sorry, RNA-seq beginner here and don't know the field that well, so any and alll replies will be helpful.

Thank you!
Old 09-14-2020, 10:37 AM   #2
GenoMax

No one does technical replicates since they don't add any value to the datasets. Are you looking for "biological" replicates?
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 12:55 PM   #3
yumpe

As it said in my original post, I'm looking for "technical" replicates.
Maybe I am one of the few people interested in the technical variability of a technique.
Still am, and grateful for any pointers.
Thanks!

Last edited by yumpe; 09-15-2020 at 12:58 PM.
yumpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2020, 06:16 PM   #4
GenoMax

You will need to look around to find such data. A library run on multiple lanes (which would be technical replicates) may just be concatenated into a single file for analysis and may not be reported specifically in papers.

I found this paper (which is not for RNAseq) but does contain technical replicates.
GenoMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 11:27 AM   #5
yumpe

Thanks GenoMax, appreciate your help.
I'm specifically looking for RNA-seq data.
I'll keep looking!
Old 09-16-2020, 01:55 PM   #6
cmbetts

You might try to look at some of the method/kit comparison papers, or a paper describing a new library prep method. They often compare inter and intra assay performance of replicate inputs, usually Universal Human Reference RNA.

You'll likely only find older papers using technical replicates. The outcome of the early characterization experiments was that technical replicates are unnecessary, especially in comparison to the added value of biological replicates. They're essentially an elaborate way to burn money, but I'm sure Illumina would love you if you find an argument for them...
cmbetts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2020, 01:03 PM   #7
yumpe

Hi cmbetts,

My only interest is academic, trying to understand the variability of RNA-seq workflows as well as I can.

Best,

Tags
reproducibility, rna-seq, technical replicate