SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > RNA Sequencing

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mRNA-seq illumina GAII - microRNAs? vebaev RNA Sequencing 3 09-16-2011 12:15 AM
RNA-Seq: Comparative Analysis of RNA-Seq Alignment Algorithms and the RNA-Seq Unified Newsbot! Literature Watch 3 07-31-2011 07:08 PM
RNA-Seq: ExpEdit: a web server to explore human RNA editing in RNA-Seq experiments. Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 03-24-2011 02:10 AM
PubMed: Integrated Profiling of MicroRNAs and mRNAs: MicroRNAs Located on Xq27.3 Asso Newsbot! Literature Watch 0 01-22-2011 02:02 AM

Old 09-02-2012, 07:45 PM   #1
Jeannine

Default microRNAs in RNA-seq?

Hi,

I'm sure my question is a really common one, and although I could find a few different opinions on this topic I would like to ask it anyway, just to get a definite answer.
Is it possible to identify differentially expressed microRNAs in a normal RNA-seq experiment (i.e.not small RNA-seq)?
We're considering to do a miRNA microarray but will definitely do a RNA-seq in the near future, i.e.were wondering if we don't have to do the microarray at all.

Thanks,
Jeannine
Jeannine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
Deli Çoban

Hi,

You can use the RNA-Seq libraries for identifiyig differentially expressed full pre-miRNA or partly degraded pre-miRNAs which generally include mature miRNAs. First of all, you blast the all desired pre-miRNAs against the RNA -Seq libraries (for good result, not map the contig sequences, directly mapping to unigen sequences).Then, you sort out the outputs for getting the pre-miRNAs and check the expression level of obtained sequences.
Deli Çoban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
HilmarBerger

Hi,

I am not sure if anybody has shown that the expression of pre-miRNAs is a good substitute estimate for mature miRNAs, at least this article indicates the contrary: http://nar.oxfordjournals.org/lookup...ll&uritype=cgi .
In any case, with "normal" RNA-seq you will definitely not see any mature miRNAs that require specific shortRNA prorocols to capture and sequence the short sequences.

Cheers, Hilmar
HilmarBerger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 10:15 PM   #4
Melissa

Deli is right. Just wanna add that very few pri-miRNAs will be detected in the transcriptome (my rough guess based on experience is probably 10% of the total miRNA families). Why not do a small RNA-seq instead of miRNA microarray?

Last edited by Melissa; 09-28-2012 at 12:06 AM. Reason: Sorry i mean pri-miRNA instead of pre-miRNA. Still get confused sometimes.
Melissa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2012, 11:47 PM   #5
NicoBxl
not just another member

and pre-miRNA are not poly-A (pri-miR are) so you've to do ribo depletion libs.
and like Melissa said: try small RNA-seq instead
NicoBxl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 05:57 AM   #6
plefebvre

you definitively would not see miRNA in your RNA-seq data
plefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #7
vkartha

Could any one point me to the best annotation file to count over annotated mature miRNA sequences? I am currently using the gff file off of mirbase (is this reliable?).
vkartha is offline   Reply With Quote