SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Get coverage of each site on contig generated by Velvet genelab Bioinformatics 5 08-03-2013 10:40 PM
Problem with vcf file generated amruta.bn Bioinformatics 0 01-05-2012 03:22 AM
problem for velvet parameters and results hequn Bioinformatics 2 11-17-2011 04:56 AM
how were the duplicate reads generated? qiudao General 14 10-25-2011 08:16 AM
What do i do with the generated files? BRCA-DIAGNOSTIC andrehorta Bioinformatics 0 01-13-2011 02:01 AM

Old 09-14-2010, 05:00 PM   #1
sulicon

Default Different results generated by using the same parameters

I'm new to 2nd-generation sequencing data analysis. I have found that every time I run newbler, the de novo assemlber from Roche, I get different results... The parameters used are identical in these runs. Is this normal?

update:
It seems that the difference is caused by multiple CPUs used for computation. I had used "-cpu 10" before. If only one CPU used, the result is reproducible, although it's also different from results generated by multiple CPUs...

Last edited by sulicon; 09-14-2010 at 05:23 PM. Reason: update
sulicon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 06:57 AM   #2
flxlex

What you find is correct, only with -cpu 1 will you get the same results each time. Nice to be able to answer one's own question, eh?
flxlex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 11:59 PM   #3
Torst

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulicon View Post
I'm new to 2nd-generation sequencing data analysis. I have found that every time I run newbler, the de novo assemlber from Roche, I get different results... The parameters used are identical in these runs. Is this normal?
There seems to be two ways to get different results from gsAssembler:

1. As you found, the -cpu option with more than 1 cpu gives different results! The only reliable way is with -cpu 1.

2. The order you supply your .SFF files on the command line changes the results, even with -cpu 1 enabled. It seems you need to put your paired reads AFTER your single-end reads.

I am appalled that just important software can be so non-deterministic in its operation!
Torst is offline   Reply With Quote