Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How do I convert 454 ace to a regular ace?

I have read on the BioPerl site that a 454 ace is not standardized due to its coordinate system. How can I convert it to the standard ace file?

When I run this code either by using contig or assembly objects, I get an error.

PHP Code:
    sub _newblerAceToAce($args){

my($self,$args)=@_;

my $ace454=Bio::Assembly::IO->new(-file=>$$args{ace454Path},-format=>"ace",-variant=>'454');

my $ace=Bio::Assembly::IO->new(-file=>">$$args{acePath}",-format=>"ace");

#while(my $contig=$ace454->next_contig){

while(my $scaffold=$ace454->next_assembly){
        print 
    Dumper $scaffold;
      }
      return $
    $args{acePath};

Code:
    Can't call method "get_consensus_sequence" on an undefined value at Bio/Assembly/IO/ace.pm line 280, <GEN0> line 93349.

Further details:

From the bioperl site,
    The ACE files produced by the 454 GS Assembler (Newbler) do not conform to the
    reference ACE format. In 454 ACE, the consensus sequence reported covers only
    its clear range and the start of the clear range consensus is defined as position
    1. Consequently, aligned reads in the contig can have negative positions. Be sure
    to use the '454' variant to have positive alignment positions. No attempt is made
    to construct the missing part of the consensus sequence (beyond the clear range)
    based on the underlying reads in the contig. Instead the ends of the consensus
    are simply padded with the gap character '-'.

P.S. It'd be really awesome if there were perl tags on this forum but I couldn't find them in the help section. I'm using PHP tags as a substitute.

My reading of the BioPerl text you quote suggests you just need to tell the parser it is a 454 Ace file, not a "standard" Ace file. i.e. There is no need to convert it.

Have you asked on the BioPerl mailing list?

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
      My reading of the BioPerl text you quote suggests you just need to tell the parser it is a 454 Ace file, not a "standard" Ace file. i.e. There is no need to convert it.

Have you asked on the BioPerl mailing list?
      Yes I've tried telling it that it is a 454 Ace file, using both the variant syntax and the ace-454 syntax. I get the error using either one.

I asked the mailing list at the end of last week, but no response yet.

I think this is the case of "it should work but it doesn't for me" and if anyone has a spare minute I would appreciate a tested code snippet.

Comment

Originally posted by lskatz View Post
        I asked the mailing list at the end of last week, but no response yet.
        I don't think your message made it to the list. I didn't see it, and it isn't on the archive.

Check you sent the message from the same email address you are subscribed with?

If you send it again, make sure you include important information missing in your post here like the version of BioPerl, the OS, and the full error message - that usually makes it easier to help.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
          I don't think your message made it to the list. I didn't see it, and it isn't on the archive.

Check you sent the message from the same email address you are subscribed with?

If you send it again, make sure you include important information missing in your post here like the version of BioPerl, the OS, and the full error message - that usually makes it easier to help.
          It's down there at the end. If you think it's helpful I'll send again to the list with all those details.

My OS is Ubuntu 8.
          BioPerl: I have a global version of bioperl, and I installed the latest version of Assembly::IO into a local directory.
          Code:
          $ perl -MBio::Root::Version -e 'print $Bio::Root::Version::VERSION,"\n"'
          $ perl -MBio::SeqIO -e 'printf "%vd\n", Bio::Assembly::IO::ace::VERSION'
          66.105.111.58.58.65.115.115.101.109.98.108.121.58.58.73.79.58.58.97.99.101.58.58.86.69.82.83.73.79.78
          Error message after running the perl code (shown in the first post):
          Code:
          Can't call method "get_consensus_sequence" on an undefined value at Bio/Assembly/IO/ace.pm line 280, <GEN0> line 93349.
          Thank you for helping!

Comment

It's down there at the end. If you think it's helpful I'll send again to the list with all those details.
            http://lists.open-bio.org/pipermail/...er/034275.html
            Oh yeah - I see it now, the title surprised me, that was all.
            My OS is Ubuntu 8.
            There were two Ubuntu releases in 2008, so Ubuntu 8 isn't specific.

Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) or Ubuntu 8.10 (Intrepid Ibex)?

BioPerl: I have a global version of bioperl, and I installed the latest version of Assembly::IO into a local directory.
            Code:
            $ perl -MBio::Root::Version -e 'print $Bio::Root::Version::VERSION,"\n"'
            $ perl -MBio::SeqIO -e 'printf "%vd\n", Bio::Assembly::IO::ace::VERSION'
            66.105.111.58.58.65.115.115.101.109.98.108.121.58.58.73.79.58.58.97.99.101.58.58.86.69.82.83.73.79.78
            Wow - that is a crazy version number
            Error message after running the perl code (shown in the first post):
            Code:
            Thank you for helping!
            I know very little Perl - hence suggesting asking on the BioPerl mailing list. And yes, if I were you I would reply to your previous message with the extra version information.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
              Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
              by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
              04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
            • seqadmin
              Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
              by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
              03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
            Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
            0 responses
            0 likes
            Last Post seqadmin  
            Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
            0 responses