SEQanswers

Go Back   SEQanswers > Bioinformatics > Bioinformatics

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Downstream Analysis rjames General 9 07-23-2013 06:21 AM
Downstream analysis for Differential Expression.. papori De novo discovery 9 07-17-2012 09:45 PM
Downstream Cuffdiff analysis apadr007 Bioinformatics 2 11-23-2011 12:12 PM
454 downstream analysis. aloliveira Bioinformatics 5 11-16-2011 06:10 AM
the downstream analysis of RNA-seq Xi Wang RNA Sequencing 18 04-15-2011 07:43 AM

Old 02-26-2014, 08:36 AM   #1
aloliveira

Default Isoforms and downstream analysis

Hello,

I am very new in this transcriptome field and I have one question concerning the downstream analysis. I already assembled all my data, and now I'm preparing the data to the downstream analysis. I want to perform phylogenomics analysis, phylogenetic analysis with certain families of genes, comparative transcriptome analysis, and also functionally characterize all my transcriptomes. So, my initial question is:

For phylogenomics, phylogenetics, functional annotation is needed to pick just one isoform per component (gene)? I think to many isoforms could inflate the results (and I don't even know if the isoforms are real, or derived from sequencing errors, even that I performed a very aggressive filtering step). So, would be a good idea make a transcript quantification with RSEM and pick only the most abundant transcript per component based on some statistics? For example, fpkm?

I think I need to decide this question at this point, because it is crucial for the next steps. Thanks in advance,

Best regards,
André
aloliveira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2014, 12:16 PM   #2
mchizar

ArrayStar software provides both "gene level" and "isoform level" analysis of RNA-Seq assemblies and generates RPKM values at both annotation levels. This software provides a nice UI and is designed for people with limited bioinformatics experience. THere are free demos, too.
mchizar is offline   Reply With Quote