No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Extract reads sequence based on position from bam file

Dear all,
    I'm trying to recover reads sequences from specific region in bam file.
    Reads were align using bowtie2.

I have reads align to one specific sequence and I would like to get sequences of reads mapped to a specific region of 3 nucleotides, and count the occurence of each tri-nucleotide at this position.

How would I achieve this ?

Thanks for your help !

You can extract the reads in the region you are interested in using samtools view (e.g. samtools view -b reads.bam chr1:10420000-10421000 > subset.bam) and then use bedtools/bam-readcount.
    Last edited by GenoMax; 10-10-2016, 04:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks for your answer.
      Which command from bedtools ?
      What is bamcount ?

Comment

Sorry. Should be bam-readcount. Added a link to post above. When you say tri-nucloetide (you want to consider the counts as a trinucleotide or just counts for bases at those three positions). If latter then bam-readcount will work.

Comment

bamcount is not doing exactly what i'm asking, i don't want readcounts for each base at each position.
          I want the occurence of each tri-nucleotide at this specific site.
          For example :
          ACA = 5 reads
          GCA = 8 reads
          etc ....

The problem is that there are INDELS in the alignment and I don't know how to deal with it.

Comment

If the indel spans that position there is nothing you can do. How deep is the pileup (not practical to count in a genome viewer (e.g. IGV)?

Comment

there are not that much reads mapping to the sequence of interest (maximum is 800 000 reads ).
              You are suggesting to do it with IGV ? How ?

Comment

This tool by Pierre Lindenbaum may be useful in this case: https://github.com/lindenb/jvarkit/wiki/SAM4WebLogo It should give you aligned fasta files.

If it was a small number of reads I thought you could count them in IGV but sounds like that may not be the case.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                  Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                  by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                  03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                • seqadmin
                  Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                  by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                  Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                  03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                0 responses
                0 likes
                Last Post seqadmin  
                Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                0 responses