Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Expired reagents (NEB & ligation)

I was wondering if anyone has details on how reliable expired ligation kits are? I inherited an MSc project that was dropped due to covid and most reagents in the lab are 3+ months old. I understand this is the expiry limit, as confirmed by all the stored flowcells being bone-dry, but I was wondering if this would be the case for the rest of the end-prep/ligation kits (DNA, 1D, non-PCR, no barcoding). Im brand new to this site and partially to Nanopore so I'd really appreciate all the help I can get!

Thanks

Three months should not make a meaningful difference with these reagents - if they were stored properly.

Comment

Originally posted by luc View Post
      Three months should not make a meaningful difference with these reagents - if they were stored properly.
      Thank you so much for your help! How about a year past expiry for the Ligation kit and about ~8 months for the NEB kit? Im already having to fight about the price of the defunct flowcells so I'd rather replace as little as I can. It's all been stored properly and unopened since first use.

Comment

In our experience the ligation and associated reagents is the most sensitive part of library preps. I would expect other reagents to last longer past the expiration date, but I won't make any predictions.

Comment

I had this discussion with nanopore tech support a couple of weeks ago. Apparently the ligation kit shelf life used to be 6 months and it was shortened to 3 months: it's the motor protein AMX (or AMII in NB kits) that is not as stable. That said, I have used kits for six months without any big problems, it's just that if they don't work you can't complain!

Comment

I recently did a couple MinION of runs with a sequencing kit that was 6 days at room temp during shipment, before being stored beyond its expiration date due to the pandemic, with flow cells that were also expired. Only the NEB reagents had not expired. The runs were very good, in fact among the best we have had. It seems like a really robust system.
            Jon

Comment

Thanks everyone My runs have been working alright!!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
              • seqadmin
                Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
              0 responses
              0 likes
              Last Post seqadmin  
              Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
              0 responses