Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, they'll take a while to get generated.

Comment

Hi... now 24 hours are passed and indexing is still running on my MAc (see previous post of this thread). What can I do now? My processor is dual core... I have to insert an option into the command line to take into account that processor has 2 core?

Comment

24 hours seems excessive. Can you see it still using one of your cores? I don't think the indexing can be run multi-core. What species are you trying to index? Perhaps one of us can just create and post the indices so you can download them.

Comment

simobioinfo is indexing GRCh37/human. If bandwidth is not a problem then you can download the preformatted bundle (sequence, indexes and annotations) from this link: http://support.illumina.com/sequenci...e/igenome.html

@simobioinfo: This is the sort of thing I was trying to warn you about in terms of user experience.

@Devon: If you have indexes for that known to work on a Mac you could post them for simobioinfo.

Comment

I'll give it a whirl on my macbook pro, but it's rather old and low on RAM. Assuming that doesn't work, on Tuesday I'll be back in the office and just use one of our beefier Macs if this isn't resolved by then.

Comment

Originally posted by simobioinfo View Post
              Hi... now 24 hours are passed and indexing is still running on my MAc (see previous post of this thread). What can I do now? My processor is dual core... I have to insert an option into the command line to take into account that processor has 2 core?
              How much RAM does this Mac have? If you look at my previous post you'll see where I said that if you don't have enough RAM it will take very, very long to build in the index. To build the human genome you probably need 5-6GB but you will have to monitor RAM usage as the index is building to know for sure. And it doesn't matter how many cores you have Bowtie2-build is a single process.

Comment

Originally posted by biocomputer View Post
                How much RAM does this Mac have? If you look at my previous post you'll see where I said that if you don't have enough RAM it will take very, very long to build in the index. To build the human genome you probably need 5-6GB but you will have to monitor RAM usage as the index is building to know for sure. And it doesn't matter how many cores you have Bowtie2-build is a single process.
                My mac has 4Gb of RAM. I suppose that it could be enough to build index. I don't know how to check ram usage.

Comment

I was able to build the index on another machine and use it on my macbook pro with 3 gigs of RAM. I really wouldn't recommend doing this on a machine with that little RAM as you end up swapping all the time. Since you have more RAM than my old laptop, hopefully you'll get better performance. I'll post the indices later today and send you a link.

Comment

@simbioinfo: I just sent you a PM with some links to the bowtie2 indices that worked on my Mac. Let me know if they work for you.

Comment

Thank you everybody. I was on vacation. I will try soon indexes you sent me

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                      • seqadmin
                        Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                        by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                        Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                        03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                      0 responses
                      0 likes
                      Last Post seqadmin  
                      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                      0 responses