Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Normalizing values for computing log ratios

I am currently working on a project with RNA-Seq data. I need to compute a ratio of the number of reads at each position for two different protocols so I have log(protocol1value/protocol2value). The problem is that its quite often I will have something like log(25/0), which is impossible to compute. Is there a way to normalize the values so that I can make this sort of computation accurately?

I want to add that, based on advice by some colleagues, I have considered and dismissed the possibilities of adding 1 to all counts before computation or replacing all 0's with very small numbers like .000001.

I'm sure there must be a way, I am just having trouble finding it. Thanks in advance.

There is no accurate computation for log(25/0). If there was one, your computer would be happy giving it to you.

Your colleagues have provided you with the appropriate workarounds for this problem. They aren't ideal, but they're all you can do. It's just a matter of asking yourself how to represent your 25/0.

You have no real way of knowing what the "true" ratio of counts for that particular position is, so you need to choose whether you should underestimate the ratio (25/1), probably overestimate the ratio (25/1e-6), or put a big shiny asterisk next to them all and say "I don't know the real answer and am not comfortable guessing"

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
      Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
      by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
      04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
    • seqadmin
      Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
      by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
      04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
    Started by seqadmin, Today, 11:49 AM
    0 responses
    0 likes
    Last Post seqadmin  
    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
    0 responses