No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Optimising SRMA for speed in the absence of a cluster

Hi,

I am trying to optimise the speed of SRMA for realignment. I am wondering a few things:

1) When using the RANGE argument to break up analyses, is there any way of specifying an entire chromosome without knowing its actual length?

2) Multithreading doesn't appear to speed things up so I am wondering if it is possible/acceptable to string together multiple srma commands on the command line with the "&" symbol in order to force different ranges to work on different cores.

3) Would it be possible/faster to use info from a BCF/VCF file to only run the relaignment over specific mutations rather than for the whole genome/exome.

Best,

Gavin
    (This is a re-post as it was originally in the wrong forum).

Originally posted by gavin.oliver View Post
    Hi,

I am trying to optimise the speed of SRMA for realignment. I am wondering a few things:

1) When using the RANGE argument to break up analyses, is there any way of specifying an entire chromosome without knowing its actual length?
    Yes, you should be able to just specify the chromosome. If not, let me know and I will add that for you.

2) Multithreading doesn't appear to speed things up so I am wondering if it is possible/acceptable to string together multiple srma commands on the command line with the "&" symbol in order to force different ranges to work on different cores.
    Yes, there is a warning that multi-threading may not help. You can definitely have multiple SRMA processes, given enough memory.

3) Would it be possible/faster to use info from a BCF/VCF file to only run the relaignment over specific mutations rather than for the whole genome/exome.
    Yes, it would be faster, though there may be variants that are not in the BCF/VCF that could be found after re-alignment. Use the RANGES option to specify a file with a list of ranges to re-align.

Comment

Originally posted by nilshomer View Post
      Yes, you should be able to just specify the chromosome. If not, let me know and I will add that for you.
      I tried specifying with the format "RANGE=chr1" but it the program dies as follows Nils:

java.lang.Exception: BAM files and BAM indexes when using the RANGE or RANGES option
      at srma.SAMRecordIO.<init>(SAMRecordIO.java:53)
      at srma.SRMA.doWork(SRMA.java:159)
      at net.sf.picard.cmdline.CommandLineProgram.instanceMain(CommandLineProgram.java:156)
      at srma.SRMA.main(SRMA.java:98)

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Today, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses