No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Problems displaying SAM file in IGV

Hi,

I am starting to play around with some NGS data and am trying to display a SAM file (e coli reads aligned to the genome) in Intergrative Genome Viewer. When I load the file no reads appear. Has anyone else experienced anyhting like this? I have imported the correct genome and checked that genome name agrees between files etc.

Any help would be appreciated!

Gavin

Problem resolved!

I don't even want to admit what was happening

Comment

Dear Gavin,
      I have also experienced this problem. Could you tell me how you fixed it? No doubt it is something simple that I have overlooked.

Comment

I thought I had fixed it but it turns out I was wrong.

I have absolutely no idea what the issue is at all

Comment

The IGV developer is a really nice guy (despite an insertional mutation in his surname :-) and is a member here; if you send him a good test case & description you are likely to get a response.

Comment

Lol.

I can provide my SAM and genome file if you can give me an e-mail address?

I just can't get the alignments to display.

Comment

Did you try zooming in? I've found it won't display if you've got high coverage and you're zoomed out far due to memory constraints.
              Mendelian Disorder: A blogshare of random useful information for general public consumption. [Blog]
              Breakway: A Program to Identify Structural Variations in Genomic Data [Website] [Forum Post]
              Projects: U87MG whole genome sequence [Website] [Paper]

Comment

igv-help (at) broadinstitute.org is the address to get assistance

Comment

Originally posted by gavin.oliver View Post
                  I thought I had fixed it but it turns out I was wrong.

I have absolutely no idea what the issue is at all
                  Reduce your input file ((s|b)am I assume) to a one alignment. Load it and
                  check if it shows up. If the alignment does no show up try to change the
                  chrm string format. The chrm string has to match to whatever contig header
                  string is used in the reference you use. That was my main problem when
                  I started using IGV.

Ultimately the IGV mailing list is your friend.
                  -drd

Comment

I have sent the SAM and genome files to the igv-help address. All the fixes mentioned on this thread I have already attempted (or tried to).

Comment

Let us know what the problem was when you find out.
                      -drd

Comment

Hi Gavin,

Did you end up getting a response from the guys at IGV or end up solving the problem? I seem to be experiencing the same issues. Thanks

Comment

Unfortunately not!

Comment

Hi Gavin,
                            did you try to view the alignment using an other third part tool ?
                            If I suggest you that, it is because I had the same problem with my SAM files, and this problem reproduced with other tools.
                            In my case, SAM files were converted from illumina export files using script export2sam.pl script. illumina pipeline reports file name of the sequence matched and not the fasta header of the sequence matched, whereas viewers use the header.
                            So, as you could anderstand if the name of the reference sequence and the name of sequence matched are not the same, softwares (IGV or others) consider that there are not reads mapped to the reference.
                            I don't know if you are in same case, but you could verify if field RNAME in SAM file seems ok.

Jennifer

Comment

Hi Jennifer,

To be honest I haven't pursued the problem any further. Shifting priorities in my job means that I haven't been spending any time on NGS of late. It is something I may have to revisit in the future but for the time-being my hands are tied!

Sorry I can't be more help.

Gavin

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                                Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
                                by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist on Modified Bases...
                                Yesterday, 07:01 AM
                              • seqadmin
                                Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
                                by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
                                04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
                              0 responses
                              0 likes
                              Last Post seqadmin  
                              Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
                              0 responses