Go Back   SEQanswers > Applications Forums > Sample Prep / Library Generation

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
small RNA cleanup for Illumina library prep eab Sample Prep / Library Generation 17 02-27-2015 09:38 AM
ChIP-seq library prep Illumina Kapa ETHANol Sample Prep / Library Generation 9 01-29-2015 04:09 PM
Odd "rooster-comb" BioAnalyzer profile for Mate Pair library pbabb926 Sample Prep / Library Generation 3 10-11-2012 11:06 AM
Illumina BS-seq library prep query matth431 Epigenetics 1 04-30-2012 12:43 AM
Problems with Invitrogen Size Select E-gels for Illumina RNA-Seq Library Sample Prep? Jerry Glenn Sample Prep / Library Generation 0 04-18-2011 08:14 AM

Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Junior Member
Location: Australia

Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 1
Default Library prep woes – unusual bioanalyzer profile of Illumina RNA-seq library

Hi everyone,

I have been preparing RNA-seq libraries using the Illumina Tru-seq V2 kit. My first Batch of libraries turned out just like the picture in the Illumina manual using half the ligation template and a 15 cycle PCR (see attachment “Batch 1” – trace is from the MultiNA not Bioanalyzer). However, when I prepared a second batch of libraries I got almost no product using a 15 cycle PCR (see Batch 2_15 cycle). So I increased the PCR cycles to 21 and I get a bucket load of product; however, I appear to have 2 peaks now including a very sharp peak at ~250 (Batch 2_21 cycle). My first thought is that this must be a low abundance artefact and that the libraries are useless but I made quite a few (20+) that have this profile so I want to be sure they are useless before starting again. For Batch 1 and Batch 2 I used different RNA samples but the RNA used for each was from the same tissue (Arabidopsis leaves) prepared in the same way and had same Bioanalyzer quality (RIN 7-8); only difference was I prepared more samples in Batch 2, and used a brand new kit.

I presume something went wrong in the library prep, perhaps I lost the library in one of the AMpure steps or maybe it was a dynabead mRNA isolation issue? Has anyone seen this before? Does anyone have any ideas of the cause? Any thoughts on whether these libraries will be usable?

My plan now is to spike a small amount of the defective libraries into another experiment that we will be sequencing (to get a ~1 mil reads or so, 100bp se – does this sound reasonable?), to try to determine what I have amplified and see if we can diagnose the problem (I used the inline controls from illumina, so perhaps they will be useful). Does this sound like the right approach?


Attached Files
File Type: pdf Batch_1 representative library.pdf (28.3 KB, 202 views)
File Type: pdf Batch 2 representative library_15_cycles.pdf (27.0 KB, 181 views)
File Type: pdf Batch 2 representative library_21 cycles.pdf (28.7 KB, 199 views)
petey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 10:00 AM   #2
Senior Member
Location: USA

Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 482

The libraries are okay except the 21 cycle library is over-amplified and beginning to dimerize. If you can see the library on a DNA 1000 chip you have enough to sequence.
NextGenSeq is offline   Reply With Quote

illumina, library size, rna-seq

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

All times are GMT -8. The time now is 05:44 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO