No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting raw counts needed for Deseq/EdgeR from TCGA RSEM files

Hi,

I wish to run DE analysis using DESeq or EdgeR on RNA-seq data downloaded from TCGA. I would like to use the Level 3 RNA-Seq data, which is already processed using RSEM.

I wonder if I can use the column named "raw counts" in the RSEM un-normalized output as the raw read counts needed for the input for DESeq and EdgeR.

For example, the column marked in bold in the file :

Filename:
    unc.edu__IlluminaHiSeq_RNASeqV2__TCGA-A1-A0SB-01A-11R-A144-07__expression_rsem_gene.txt

barcode gene_id raw_count scaled_estimate transcript_id
    TCGA-A1-A0SB-01A-11R-A144-07 ?|100130426 0 0 uc011lsn.1
    TCGA-A1-A0SB-01A-11R-A144-07 ?|100133144 34.05 1.23812E-06 uc010unu.1,uc010uoa.1

Thanks !
    D. N.

i don't have an answer, but essentially am curious about the same point.
    i believe the TCGA Level 3 RNASeqv2 "unnormalized" data represents the 'raw' RSEM counts, and thus piping this input into edgeR would be fine... but perhaps i'm mistaken.
    one spot where i've seen conflicting opinions is on how edgeR handles non-integer based counts, which will be the case with the RSEM output.

in a few test cases i've run, i haven't encountered any glaring errors, though i found a HUGE number of differentially expressed genes when comparing prostate cancer samples (both unmatched cases using exact tests and using a subset of matched cases using a GLM approach to handle the paired samples).
    at an FDR threshold of 0.05 (using B-H correction), nearly half the genome qualified as differentially expressed, which -- at first glance -- seemed high to me.

Comment

Are you sure that you used counts per gene, and not counts per transcript, as input? RSEM outputs the latter by default, but these are unsuitable (even in principle) for downstream analysis for differential expression testing. (If you don't know why, see my earlier posts on the subject.)

Comment

yes, the counts are represented at the gene level for the publicly available TCGA RNASeqv2 (unnormalized) data.
        while i can't find the verbose output for the execution of their RNASeqv2 pipeline, my guess is that the RSEM mappings to transcripts are collapsed to the individual gene level by summing counts.
        so, there are ~20,000 genes represented in their "Level 3" files (lower levels, representing increasingly raw data -- e.g. the reads themselves -- are not all publicly available).

as for the large number of differentially expressed genes, additional reading lends me to believe the non-integer counts do need to be rounded prior to edgeR analyses.
        (though even this rounding step has been the focus of some debate on the R/Bioconductor-help mailing list.)

Comment

Hi All,

For what it's worth, we're committed to making this sort of data more freely available and usable by the community. In that spirt, we've included a freely available reference library of genomics data in our product, GenePool. This library happens to include the RNASeqV2 gene-level counts computed by the UNC pipeline that leveraged RSEM. We've also taken the time to extract and curate the sample-level metadata and make it easily available to researchers to subset the samples, and analyze the data accordingly. For more advanced users, you can easily just export out the counts and sample level metadata and get into more high-powered statistical analyses, that hopefully some day we just roll right back into the GenePool platform :-)

Incidentally, we've also included the isoform-, splice-junction-, and exon-level counts as part of GenePool's premium content.

If you're interested in learning more, please check out GenePool's growing genomics library, check out the following threads:

Registered SEQanswers sponsors/vendors can post commercial content here. Please support our sponsors!

Registered SEQanswers sponsors/vendors can post commercial content here. Please support our sponsors!

We'd love to have your feedback on this effort.

------------------------------
          GenePool is making genomics data management, analysis, and sharing easier!
          Products @ www.stationxinc.com
          Last edited by GenePool; 11-23-2014, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
          • seqadmin
            Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
            by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
            Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
            03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
          0 responses