No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-step PCR protocol for Illumina sequencing

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so apologies if it is in the wrong place or if there is already a thread on the same topic!

I am currently trying to optimise a protocol to process 380 samples using the Illumina MiSeq platform. I am using the two-step PCR process to attach the necessary adapters to my samples in preparation for sequencing.

From doing a bit of reading around, there seems to be no standard protocol for doing this, everyone seems to adapt depending on the samples they are looking at. Am I right in saying this?

So far, I have used the same master mix components and concentrations previously used to successfully amplify my samples in the first step PCR. I am now trying to test different cycle numbers to see what the minimum number required is and trying a hot-start version of the master mix I use to reduce non-specific amplification. I was then going to clean-up and quantify before adding a set amount of DNA template for each sample to the second PCR (using same master mix and primer concentration etc as the first PCR) and then quantify again before pooling and denaturing to load onto the machine. I looked at the Nextera sample preparation guide and this states 12 cycles for the second PCR which seems a bit much as that kit amplifies sequences from transposon tagged genomic DNA, but this means I am unsure how many cycles is enough. I added the two quantification steps in as these samples have not been quantified before as they were so difficult to amplify in the first place.

I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions or recommendations? Apologies for such a long post!

Are you using Nextera or Nextera XT adapters? I use the Nextera adapters, 5cycles (this is what the Nextera guide Rev. B calls for) with the conditions in the guide, and 50 ng of input DNA (quantified by Qubit for concentration and Nanodrop for 260/280 and 260/230). Afterwards, I quantify with the Qubit for pooling and then KAPA quant the final library.

Comment

Thanks for your reply. I am using Nextera XT adapters. The program in the guide says 12 cycles but I think this may be a little over the top. I was planning on doing the first PCR in as few cycles as possible, then purifying the products and quantifying them with Qubit and the Nanodrop and then using 50ng DNA of each sample in the second PCR beofre quantifying again and pooling. I think I just need to the cycle numbers for each PCR right!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
      • seqadmin
        Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
        by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
        03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
      0 responses