No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAGIT Installation for Mac

Hello all,

I am trying to install PAGIT onto my Mac (OSX 10.7.5). The instructions on the Sanger website (http://www.sanger.ac.uk/resources/software/pagit/) say to install a virtual box first, I do have a version of virtual box on the computer already but it is not the most recent. The instructions also then say "Download the PAGIT virtual machine required for your operating system. Click on either the Virtual Machine 32 bit or the Virtual Machine 64 bit link above. " I need answers to a few things specifically: 1) Do I need the most recent version of VirtualBox or will the previous version work? 2) What is the difference between VirtualBox and the virtual pagit machine I need to install? 3) How do I know which version of the virtual machine is required for my operating system and what is the difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit?

I realize I probably sound like a moron to any computer scientists in the audience, so I apologize. I'm a bench scientist and very new to bioinformatics. Your patience and feedback is very much appreciated.

~akjones

Originally posted by akjones View Post
    1) Do I need the most recent version of VirtualBox or will the previous version work? 2) What is the difference between VirtualBox and the virtual pagit machine I need to install? 3) How do I know which version of the virtual machine is required for my operating system and what is the difference between the 32 bit and the 64 bit?
    Sorry for the late reply, and from your other query I assume to solved the problem.
    1) Basically, I don't know how compatible the different versions are. Just give it a go
    2) The Virtualbox is the program that will run the virtual machine (on which pagit is installed)
    3) This depends on your machine. A 64bit processor should run a 32 bit machine without problem, but not the other way around.

I hope this helps,
    Thomas

Comment

Hi Thomas,

I did figure out the installation part, but thanks for your reply.

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
        Essential Discoveries and Tools in Epitranscriptomics
        by seqadmin

The field of epigenetics has traditionally concentrated more on DNA and how changes like methylation and phosphorylation of histones impact gene expression and regulation. However, our increased understanding of RNA modifications and their importance in cellular processes has led to a rise in epitranscriptomics research. “Epitranscriptomics brings together the concepts of epigenetics and gene expression,” explained Adrien Leger, PhD, Principal Research Scientist...
        04-22-2024, 07:01 AM
      • seqadmin
        Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
        by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
        04-04-2024, 04:25 PM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
      Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 08:47 AM
      0 responses
      0 likes
      Last Post seqadmin  
      Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
      0 responses