No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BWA alignment followed by TopHat

Hi,

I'm reading the TopHat manual. Looks like I can only use bowtie if I'd like to run TopHat. Can I run sequence alignments with BWA and then use the BWA output to run TopHat?

Thanks,
    Slny

Simple answer - no. TopHat is linked intrinsically with Bowtie. Running it on BWA output rather than raw sequence data could actually be counterproductive.

Comment

If so, how could I align the reads from exon junctions if I use BWA? Any other tool(s) should I choose if I use BWA? Bowtie is not good for pair-end sequence alignment.

Comment

One way would be to use BWA to align against (the genome +a set of known splice junctions). Even so, TopHat may still be the logical choice as you can align against the same junctions (option -j) as well as any others that are discovered from your data.

Comment

slny, BWA followed by Tophat is a nice method for paired RNA reads because BWA works so much better for paired end data. I map with BWA and then get unmapped reads or reads with indels or soft clipping and remap them using Tophat. It works well. I generally get more reads mapping overall, but there is a small decrease in the amount of split reads.

Comment

Thanks a lot for all the responses. Very helpful.

pbluescript, do you use BWA for sequence alignments, and then re-align the unmapped reads with Bowtie followed with TopHat for exon junctions? But Bowtie is not good for pair-end sequencing, so the identification of exon junctions with TopHat will be influenced.

Comment

Tophat calls Bowtie, so I don't actually use Bowtie alone for mapping RNA reads. The identification of exon junctions still works well since Tophat finds many split reads.

Comment

Thanks a lot for your explanation. If I choose bowtie for sequence alignment, should I run everything in TopHat because it also calls Bowtie? If so, I don't need to run a separate Bowtie before I use TopHat.

Comment

If you use Tophat, you don't need to run Bowtie first. You need to have both installed, but you will only run Tophat.

Comment

Got it. Thanks a lot!

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
                      Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
                      by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
                      03-22-2024, 06:39 AM
                    • seqadmin
                      Techniques and Challenges in Conservation Genomics
                      by seqadmin

The field of conservation genomics centers on applying genomics technologies in support of conservation efforts and the preservation of biodiversity. This article features interviews with two researchers who showcase their innovative work and highlight the current state and future of conservation genomics.

Avian Conservation
                      Matthew DeSaix, a recent doctoral graduate from Kristen Ruegg’s lab at The University of Colorado, shared that most of his research...
                      03-08-2024, 10:41 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:37 PM
                    0 responses
                    0 likes
                    Last Post seqadmin  
                    Started by seqadmin, Yesterday, 06:07 PM
                    0 responses