No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Definition of promoter

Guys,
    I always wonder how people came up with the artificial definition of promoters. I know some papers use 1kb both upstream and downstream of transcription start site.. Does anyone know some good evidence supporting a particularly cutoff of how long the promoter is? What is your way of defining promoter? Is there a difference between the length of a promoter for mouse and human?

Thanks!

In theory, a promotor is a region of DNA to which proteins bind to control the expression of that gene.

The problem is that in practice, no one can look at a sequence know all the proteins that might bind there. Sometimes we have empirical data of where certain proteins bind, and maybe we can identify motifs that might indicate the kind of site a protein would bind to, but it's far from an exact science.

So we say 1 kb upstream, because most of the proteins which control expression do so by binding within 1 kb of the start.

Comment

Right, that's my understanding of how this 1kb choice came about.. biology in many ways is not an exact science

Comment

Also check the literature for your organism, as there is variation at this level too in the typical promoter distance. But I'd agree with 1kb upstream as a good ball park figure to start with.

Comment

Originally posted by maubp View Post
          Also check the literature for your organism, as there is variation at this level too in the typical promoter distance. But I'd agree with 1kb upstream as a good ball park figure to start with.
          Sure, there are some empirical evidences

Comment

Latest Articles

Collapse

• seqadmin
            Current Approaches to Protein Sequencing
            by seqadmin

Proteins are often described as the workhorses of the cell, and identifying their sequences is key to understanding their role in biological processes and disease. Currently, the most common technique used to determine protein sequences is mass spectrometry. While still a valuable tool, mass spectrometry faces several limitations and requires a highly experienced scientist familiar with the equipment to operate it. Additionally, other proteomic methods, like affinity assays, are constrained...
            04-04-2024, 04:25 PM
          • seqadmin
            Strategies for Sequencing Challenging Samples
            by seqadmin

Despite advancements in sequencing platforms and related sample preparation technologies, certain sample types continue to present significant challenges that can compromise sequencing results. Pedro Echave, Senior Manager of the Global Business Segment at Revvity, explained that the success of a sequencing experiment ultimately depends on the amount and integrity of the nucleic acid template (RNA or DNA) obtained from a sample. “The better the quality of the nucleic acid isolated...
            03-22-2024, 06:39 AM

ad_right_rmr

Collapse

News

Collapse

Topics Statistics Last Post
          Started by seqadmin, 04-11-2024, 12:08 PM
          0 responses
          0 likes
          Last Post seqadmin  
          Started by seqadmin, 04-10-2024, 10:19 PM
          0 responses